NEBS catagory question

chromestacks

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey gang,

I plan on going to Roc City Rib fest for the first time this year. In the past, I have only competed in KCBS contests. On the entry form for RCRF, it does not list what is to be prepared for the NEBS contest. All that it say is 1 catagory, 2nd catagory, etc etc. Is there a standard such as in KCBS with the catagories ribs, chicken, pork butt/shoulder, brisket? I would like to know what they are. Can some one help me or put me in contact with some one that would know? Thanks in advance.

It has not been decided yet by the organizer is my guess, Brian will most likley post it when they decide the catagories.

Nope. No standard categories. It's completely up to the organizer. It can be anything: Pizza, wings, steak, seafood, sausage, desserts, whatever the organizer wants. You can contact them directly to find out. Here is their web site: http://roccityribfest.com/

Once you find out the categories make sure you read the NEBS Grilling Rues. They are different from the KCBS rules. You can find them here: http://www.nebs.org/

-Mike

The grilling contests are the best part of a NEBS contest. IMHO
BBQ is great fun to cook. Grilling is a Blast!

The grilling contests are the best part of a NEBS contest. IMHO
BBQ is great fun to cook. Grilling is a Blast!

Come show us, Ray!

As Eric said, the categories are up to the organizers. Typical things spotted recently at NEBS events include fatties, hamburgers, seafood, desserts, steaks, and pizza. Most NEBS events are more grill oriented, but generally have the same types of fuel restrictions as KCBS. (charcoal and wood) (I say most because the organizers can request an exception to this.)

NEBS has 3 different tiers of allowable garnish, so there is a lot of variation between contests. In open garnish NEBS events, people are allowed to use pretty much anything, including their own platters and non-edible items in the turn in, so you will see a lot of innovation beyond meat on a putting green. If you are going to enter a NEBS open garnish contest, be prepared to go up against a lot of fancy looking dishes.

Back