Does anybody donate their leftovers?

Bourbon Barrel BBQ

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I've really been thinking about donating some of my BBQ to a local shelter. The only thing Im hesitant about is opening myself up to any kind of legal action. I do a good amount of practice at home and friends and family only want so much BBQ. For instance I've got a few 20lb whole shoulders Im going to do some MBN practice with. They could feed quite a few people. Any suggestions?

Most places don't take prepped food except for holiday meals. Your heart is in the right place.

Feed the people who make your life more convenient. i.e. mechanic, welder, subordinates, neighbor's hot wife... you get my point.

Most places don't take prepped food except for holiday meals. Your heart is in the right place.

Feed the people who make your life more convenient. i.e. mechanic, welder, subordinates, neighbor's hot wife... you get my point.

Thats true I never thought about them not even taking it. I just feel a bit guilty cooking so much food sometimes.

^^^^^^
thats what I was just going to answer.

we have a food pantry nearby. A few years back i brought a load of BBQ there and they declined. They dont accept cooked food... so on the way home i dropped it off at our local firehouse and the guys were more appreciative than the folks at the pantry. I have dropped off bbq at my barber, ACE hardware, local hero shop, landscapers(wood source).. etc..

The bigger the city you live; the more options you will likely have.

Here in Denver, Colorado; a law was passed to protect any restaurant from
getting sued from any food they donated to any shelter. Many restaurants
refused to donate food; because they were concerned about law suits.
Now donations are up as a result of this law.

Also there are outfits such as "Meals on Wheels". They accept cooked
food from restaurants and businesses with their own cafeterias. They even
have several specially equipped trucks with "hot boxes" so they can drive
around to the businesses and collect the food from each business when
they finish serving their lunch menu.

Check around to see which type of places will work best for you to donate
to.

I second the firefighters idea....they always appreciate great BBQ for free.

At competitions, we have had many teams bring us their extra meat to sell to the public during the People's Choice portion of the event. We support a local charity, so the $ made goes toward the donation to our team's supported charity. Might be worth looking into, at least at competitions.

A few years ago here on Long Island I set up with a local organization to collect the leftover meats from competitors at the battle of the brethren contest. I even asked if some would cook and extra butt and some did. Some teams even brought canned good as well. That was good because many teams had family etc and didnt not donate their leftover meats. Out here its called Island Harvest. There are many groups like them across the country that accept cooked food. In NYC its called City Harvest. I suppose phil forgot about this.....

next weekend Im cooking a competition in Chambersburg Pa, which is to benifit Make A Wish, they are going to be collecting any unwanted cooked pork to sell. They did it last year and did ok, but it seems like most of the teams dont want to part with the goods. I m gonna donate the remainder of the 4 butts Im cooking and will probably (if cooker space permits) another couple. I actually posted on here that I would buy extra butts if other teams had cooker space, sadly no one accepted my offer.

I do like the fire dept. idea , never thought of that one.

Ask if you can bring packaged uncooked meat then cook it right there on site for them to serve.

I usually donate some to the contest to help feed volunteers, staff, etc. What ever is left I like to drop off at a local VFW or American Legion. If not it comes home and either gets distributed to friends, suppliers, neighbors. I really don't have all that much left over after that...:becky:

Good idea bourbon:-D It is sad though that when a guys wants to do something good for people by giving them some good Q, you have to worry about the legal side of it, we are in a sue happy society, and some people will look for a way to make a buck off of good people trying to do good things. go with the firefighter idea, it sounds like the best to me, and with you being in louisville, im sure there are plenty of them to feed:thumb:

A few years ago here on Long Island I set up with a local organization to collect the leftover meats from competitors at the battle of the brethren contest. I even asked if some would cook and extra butt and some did. Some teams even brought canned good as well. That was good because many teams had family etc and didnt not donate their leftover meats. Out here its called Island Harvest. There are many groups like them across the country that accept cooked food. In NYC its called City Harvest. I suppose phil forgot about this.....

We donated to that, and it was quick and easy to do thanks to Sledneck making all the arrangements. The Ben & Jerry's booth at the "I Love BBQ" contest in Lake Placid also collected BBQ for charity and gave donors ice cream in return. Contest organizers take note: most of the teams don't want to bring all this product home.

...Contest organizers take note: most of the teams don't want to bring all this product home.

I'll second that! I love when we get to donate it to someone. They'll get every last shred of BBQ from us.

We make sure that the postman, mechanics, Dr's, and all of the folks who we depend on get BBQ on a regular basis.
Amazing what good it does for the level of service we receive and amount of our bills. :-D

TIM

^^^^^^
thats what I was just going to answer.

we have a food pantry nearby. A few years back i brought a load of BBQ there and they declined. They dont accept cooked food... so on the way home i dropped it off at our local firehouse and the guys were more appreciative than the folks at the pantry. I have dropped off bbq at my barber, ACE hardware, local hero shop, landscapers(wood source).. etc..

What do you need a barber for????:wink:

Back