Jerky is just too bitter

woodpelletsmoker

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I brined beef by water, salt, paper, very strong liquor, rice liquor for cooking in traditional chinese cuisine last night.

After I high temperature grilled lamb this morning, the charcoal left was not enough on the basket. I added hill of pine branches and leafs. I set my revised PBC at 150F. I found BIG smoke at first hour.
After 6 hours, the jerky tastes great, but a little of bitter.
I must make too much smoke.
Can it be rescued. say rinse in water and smoking again

Not sure if you can rescue it, but I think the pine may have been the culprit in the bitterness.

Pine no goodie for smokin. Next time use a good hardwood such as hickory or oak, or fruitwoods like apple or cherry.

Pine can be used for smoking (it has been here in Europe for a LONG time) but I think that it's only really good for cold smoking. Try a hardwood instead

Pine can be used for smoking (it has been here in Europe for a LONG time) but I think that it's only really good for cold smoking. Try a hardwood instead

I did not know that... of course y'all do lots o things different across the pond:biggrin1:

No pine contains oils you don't want and produces bad bitter creosote taste which i suspect is your problem. Like the other guys suggested stick with the regular stuff.. oak, hickory, apple etc...

Terpene molecules found in pine and others (citrus) are especially volatile and
is part of their defensive mechanisms.I have used rosemary wood after a portion of my farm was flooded and killed off a good portion of my plants.(Burns quick though and does not impart any particular flavor.)

I have found that 3hrs of smoke on my rig is the perfect amount of smoke on jerky...Then just use a dehydrator after until the texture is right.

Why I used pine.
in South West China, it is wet and cloud often.
Local people smoke sausage by pine in open air.
They tie rope on two trees.Hang sausage on the rope.
and make smoke by pine branches and leafs under the sausage.
But I did it inside an UDS. the smoke must be too strong

I'm not too sure about the pine either although it sounds as if it's being used in other parts of the world pretty regularly. At any rate, in the future make sure that your cooker is drafting well and use a small, hot fire that will make any raw wood combust. Pine will certainly give you plenty of smoke when burning but smoldering pine will lead to creosote very quickly. I too would suggest a hard wood of some kind be used but if you want to use the pine, fire management will be twice as important as it would normally be. The key will be to have a small, hot fire and your dampers wide open to allow airflow. Good luck!:wink:

Back