My smoker needs a blanket....brrrrr

S

Stevesonfire!

I want to either make or buy a blanket for my smoker. Being able to cook even in frigid temps is the goal.
Does anyone use a blanket? If so, what do you use and what is the material of your blanket?

Thanks..

I made one using a welding blanket from harbor freight. Added a layer of 3-1/2" fiberglass isulation from Lowes over half of the blanket. Folded over the other half and stiched it together with nylon zip ties every 3 or 4 inches. Works like a champ. Total cost $40 bucks.

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Tapatalk HD

Make sure of the blanket you choose is 100% natural fibers.

That poly/synthetic blends do melt... not a pretty sight.

Some people use the welding blankets from Harbor Freight.

I bought a "military emergency rescue" blanket off of ebay for $15. Natural fibers, flameproof to over 500 F. Nice size and worked well on my offset!

I used a fiberglass type blanket from my buddy's welding shop.
They use it to wrap weled flages to control the cool down.
Worked great, I was doing a prime rib and briskett for them for christmas.
It was 1 out when I started the cooker, got it up to temp and was adding wood every 30 min or so and running it hard.
Put the blanket on and within two mins the temp had jumped 5 degrees.
I was then able to run it like I normaly do even though it only got to 20 that day.

I used a fiberglass type blanket from my buddy's welding shop.
Does that have the problem that some (I) have with handling fiberglass insulation? Namely fiberglass fibers making my arms itch like crazy.

I had an opposite problem with my BBQ. It is built in & too close to a glass mosaic backing. As it is a double skin I inserted insulation material (about 1/2inch thick) into the cavity and it retained the heat. Should give you the same result. The material was made for kilns & can withstand exceedingly high temperatures- I recollect it wasn't cheap.

I went to harbor freight looking for a welding blanket and they didnt have any. So I bought moving blankets. Turns out they are pretty thin and melt when they get hot. DO NOT USE MOVING BLANKETS. Anyone want to buy two?

I went to harbor freight looking for a welding blanket and they didnt have any. So I bought moving blankets. Turns out they are pretty thin and melt when they get hot. DO NOT USE MOVING BLANKETS. Anyone want to buy two?

I don't know - how big are the remaining pieces? :laugh:

I'm using a welding blanket on my Traeger. The north wind clobbers it.

Does that have the problem that some (I) have with handling fiberglass insulation? Namely fiberglass fibers making my arms itch like crazy.

Yeah, but I had a coat on.
Still got a little itchy but it was free at the time, looking into some welding blakents for comps and such.
We do a comp up in northern CO in the summer and it can get into the thirties at night.

I use a old comforter from a king size bed. Been meaning to line the bottom with a welding blanket, but it works great for my smoker. I cut out the areas where it goes around the counter weight pipe and exhaust. then sewed the seams back. Works great and looks custom made (which it is I guess). The smoke has turned the back brown in a several places, but I could care less.

I use 2 of the welding blankets from harbor freight stacked on top of each other then put a moving blanket over that. Works great. As mentioned before you can't just use the moving blankets by themselves unless you want to scrape it off your pit.

I've used the heavy felt-like movers blanket but they take on a lot of water if it's snowing. I borrowed a wool fire blanket from work and liked it so much I ordered a couple of wool blankets from a surplus store.

Back