ST. Louis style rib question

kik_start

Full Fledged Farker
If cutting spare ribs into St. Louis style, I know the fat is just tossed into the trash but seems like allot of meat is wasted...is that part not fit for eating or what does everyone do with it?

I'm going to fire the UDS up and do some spare ribs for practice...I've never been able to cook a good rib, so I haven't tried in a few years but with me finding this site, I have new hope and going to try again..

Cook the meat you cut off and when it's done debone it and put it in some baked beans.

Around here we call them "burnt offerings" and use them to appease the Q gods and to keep the cook happy until the real meat is ready... Often it is also used to tease the neighbors with...

Waste not want not... like they said, why waste it, it is all good meat, just cook and eat or use... give the "waste" to the kids... :rolleyes:

I've been cutting mine off and bagging it. I'm going to break out a bunch of the bags and smoke it all up together for a nice rib tip dinner.

Smoke'em if you've got'em. Great eats. I just bought a 10lb box of "brisket bones" for $6. Half are on the grill as I type.

I like to rub them, smoke them, cut them into chunks, and finish cooking them in a pan with some bbq sauce. Eat them up with some potato rolls or white bread.

http://www.youtube.com/user/PopdaddysBBQ#p/u/44/c6u_owUBXxc

Use in stuff like this. Not sure if you meant the fat or the irregulars. If your trimming up a rack to either Popdaddy Cut or the St. Louis Cut, you have a LOT more than juts fat. You got meat (especially the tender flap on the underside and ends), cartilage, and bones and false ribs too.

I've been cutting mine off and bagging it. I'm going to break out a bunch of the bags and smoke it all up together for a nice rib tip dinner.

Thats what I do. I keep them until I have people over, like Super Bowl, NYE, or 4th of July. Rib Tips make great party food and you wont really have any money spent either. Now, if you cook ribs regularly you will end up with a lot of ziplocks and you wife will yell at you, because the freezer is filling up.

rib tips and the flap ends up in sausage. If the fat is clean and white, I will save it for sausage as well.

I just took 8 ribs worth out of the freezer. I'm going to smoke 'em up tomorrow because of this thread.

Smoke them along with the ribs...the kids love em ...if you smoke with hickory, they taste just like bacon...good for a snack while waiting for the ribs to finish...if not, they cook up well in chili...

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

The "tender flap" on the back side or "skirt" as I call it is what the cook (me) snacks on and offers to inquiring neighbors while tending the pit. The rib tips/rib briket gets smoked right along with racks of St. Louis cut spares. I'll either serve them swimming in sauce as rib tips or chunk them up and freeze them for later use when I'm in the mood for a big batch of saurkraut and rib tips. Layer the crock pot with the kraut, shredded cabbage, onions rib tips, apples a couple times with a little sweet vermouth and caraway seeds then let it stew all day for a great comfort meal.

Back