Looking for a Mentor in the Mid Atlantic area...

Theresa B

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
We have been practicing on our own since July. We've attended one competition as spectators. we pretty much agree that we need some experience before we shell out the $$$ for meat and comp fees. We are looking for a team or teams that would allow us to pit b**** for them next season in the Mid Atlantic region. I will be attending KCBS judging school in Feb. I'm a MABA and KCBS member. We are currently cooking on a OK Joe offset, a 22.5 WSM (doing our 2nd cook on it today). We also have 22.5 and 18.5 Weber kettles.
Theresa
Bellwood BBQ

I definately will be doing that. I've been looking out for any that are a reasonable distance. My thoughts are that the class will teach me the food portion of a comp, but actually being in a comp situation will help me get a handle on how to put together a setup..EZup, tables, sleeping ideas, "tricks" that others use like extending the table legs on your work space, using a Carlisle hot/cold box, what to use to line your pans to make clean up easier....just all those type things are what I want to learn from a mentor.

Theresa, you more than welcome to come hang with us if you would like.

I think Mason Dixon BBQ supply in Chambersburg PA will be hosting a class with a well known cook. is that close enough?

Lionel- What are your plans for next season? We would love to hang w/you guys. We met you at the Sam's comp in Chesapeake.:eusa_clap
Theresa

I would definatly help a team before I took a class. I helped Ford a couple years ago and learned a lot I haven't ever taken a class but I think the hands on at a comp,feeling the adrinaline as 12 nears is something you can get in a class.

Lionel- What are your plans for next season? We would love to hang w/you guys. We met you at the Sam's comp in Chesapeake.:eusa_clap
Theresa

We are looking at doing Edenton, NC of course. Then Chesapeake Jubilee, Lousia, Va, probably one in Maryland and one in western Va or NC. Haven't completely decided yet.

Smokin Gnome- we are in Virginia Beach VA...not sure where Chambersburg is.
Theresa

Mason -Dixon is right off of I-81, about 5 miles from the Maryland border. It's a great shop!

Personally, I would cook a few comps before paying for a class. I think a lot of a class will go over your head without comp experience.

Hey Sal, who is teaching at M-D?

Erik

We are in Chesapeake, VA. You are welcome to come hang out with us as well. We will be cooking all winter, and definitely cooking in the Chesapeake Jubilee and Louisa. We are thinking about an early competition in Md. in April. Be glad to help out anyway we can.

We are also trying to sync up with Lionel to cook and swap ideas etc. this winter.

Back