The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Food Handling Lesson Polls (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   imagine this (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24689)

goodearth 02-27-2007 04:53 PM

imagine this

I belong to a club that has a kitchen manager. NOW check this out the kitchen manager has left 2 cooked chickens in a walkin beer cooler uncovered for 3 weeks and I just today heard he made a chix soup from one and served it to our members for lunch

jpw23 02-27-2007 05:03 PM

probably gonna be some sick folks later this evening.

The_Kapn 02-27-2007 05:10 PM

"Aging" improves beef and some other meats.
I do not think it helps cooked or raw poultry :redface:

Are the insurance premiums paid up?????????

Not making light of this---I hope everyone "dodges the bullet", but that "manager" needs a new profession :twisted:

TIM

big brother smoke 02-27-2007 05:57 PM

Make sure there is plenty of TP in the bathrooms!

bbqjoe 02-28-2007 09:44 AM

The basic rule used in commercial establishments, observed by the health dept is this: Cooked meats must be discarded after seven days.

This has a reason, but applied to all meats is not necessarily a realistic rule, but it does give some uniformity to application.

A number of factors need to be considered, such as the temp of the cooler.
How well was the product handled and cooked?

A prudent person who is preparing food will be able to detect whether the food is spoiled or not by smell, but will not be able to detect bacteria levels nor the toxins they produce.

Remember that cooking the meat again will kill bacteria but the will not remove certain toxins left behind from the bacteria digesting the product.

I would call this considerable gross neglegence in food handling in a commercial application.
But whether anyone gets sick (pardon the pun) is a crap shoot.

Markbb 02-28-2007 10:11 AM

Meats

Joe does that also apply to meat (cooked than frozen)packed in plastic and vacuum sealed? I know all states maybe differant.

bbqjoe 02-28-2007 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markbb
Joe does that also apply to meat (cooked than frozen)packed in plastic and vacuum sealed? I know all states maybe differant.

No, the rule does not apply to frozen.

tony76248 03-03-2007 01:49 PM

When I was in the restaurant business.....(I was the dish washer/busboy/kitchen gofer and I ate my weight in food about every three or four days).... We would take all of the left over meats and make something else with them. Here is a list a foods you should avoid if you care.... I can tell you, we got our money's worth out of our meat grinder.

Chicken and Turkey Croquettes, The type of croquette will be determined by which ever flavor is dominant.

Ham Croquettes, they also use chicken and turkey mixed in these, if there is some laying around, again the dominant flavor prevails.

Salmon patties or croquettes, they will add left over varieties of white fish, that said the salmon flavor is always dominant.

Let us not forget Meatloaf, any, all and most beef and pork products will reside here.

Now the establishment I worked in was a cafeteria type restaurant, that equals old folks...and they were always asking for the croquettes too. I can guarantee that we didn't have any meats laying around that place. We turned over our stock every two or three days as I would imagine most restaurants do.

smoke-n-my-i's 09-22-2007 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goodearth (Post 356804)
I belong to a club that has a kitchen manager. NOW check this out the kitchen manager has left 2 cooked chickens in a walkin beer cooler uncovered for 3 weeks and I just today heard he made a chix soup from one and served it to our members for lunch

:icon_sick

remind me not to eat there......

BigBarry 09-23-2007 10:04 AM

Break out the Immodium.

Bbq Bubba 09-23-2007 10:09 AM

Fire kitchen manager immediately!!:cry:

LMAJ 09-23-2007 10:09 AM

And hopefully you will be getting a new kitchen manager...

CajunSmoker 09-23-2007 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony76248 (Post 358564)
When I was in the restaurant business.....(I was the dish washer/busboy/kitchen gofer and I ate my weight in food about every three or four days).... We would take all of the left over meats and make something else with them. Here is a list a foods you should avoid if you care.... I can tell you, we got our money's worth out of our meat grinder.

Chicken and Turkey Croquettes, The type of croquette will be determined by which ever flavor is dominant.

Ham Croquettes, they also use chicken and turkey mixed in these, if there is some laying around, again the dominant flavor prevails.

Salmon patties or croquettes, they will add left over varieties of white fish, that said the salmon flavor is always dominant.

Let us not forget Meatloaf, any, all and most beef and pork products will reside here.

Now the establishment I worked in was a cafeteria type restaurant, that equals old folks...and they were always asking for the croquettes too. I can guarantee that we didn't have any meats laying around that place. We turned over our stock every two or three days as I would imagine most restaurants do.

Another thing to avoid is any type of preseasoned/marinated meat at the grocery store. When the meat's go out of date it can be unpackaged cleaned, seasoned and repackaged for a new shelf life date. When my wife was a deli manager at a large supermarket chain in Atlanta we saw a lot of this.

Whitfield 07-11-2011 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CajunSmoker (Post 467475)
Another thing to avoid is any type of preseasoned/marinated meat at the grocery store. When the meat's go out of date it can be unpackaged cleaned, seasoned and repackaged for a new shelf life date. When my wife was a deli manager at a large supermarket chain in Atlanta we saw a lot of this.

I was taught to do this and I refuse to do so. We are a small shop and I'd rather throw out a few bucks in inventory than get someone sick. We feel our customers would rather us be honest with them. Pre-marinated/seasoned items in our store are always marinated/seasoned when fresh. Still, it seems to be a common practice :sick:

Oliverbbq 07-14-2011 05:41 PM

Honestly I know I wouldn't get sick from that. Some people have weak immune systems and stomachs though. I've left a bucket of KFC in my truck for 3 days with the sun beating down on it and got drunk and ate it.

I would have probably made soup out of it and ate it myself. I wouldn't have fed it to anybody else though. I wouldn't prepare anything but fresh food for family/guests.