4 cups chicken stock, or enough to cover potatoes
3 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon dried tarragon
3 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
1. In a Dutch oven, cook the bacon over medium heat until done. Remove bacon from pan, and set aside. Drain off all but 1/4 cup of the bacon grease.
2. In the bacon grease remaining in the pan, saute the celery and onion until onion begins to turn clear. Add the garlic, and continue cooking for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the cubed potatoes, and toss to coat. Saute for 3 to 4 minutes. Return the bacon to the pan, and add enough chicken stock to just cover the potatoes. Cover, and simmer until potatoes are tender.
3. In a separate pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour. Cook stirring constantly, for 1 to 2 minutes. Whisk in the heavy cream, tarragon and cilantro. Bring the cream mixture to a boil, and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. Stir the cream mixture into the potato mixture. Puree about 1/2 the soup, and return to the pan. Adjust seasonings to taste.

LHH has it spot on for my taste , I haven't done the tarragon but may have to hunt some down, I found making the sauce/cream in another pot was easier to get the right thickness without over cooking the taters. it messes up 1 more pot but what the heck lol

FYI: for a lovely creamy potato soup, the recipe that LHH posted works terrific.

If you want something quick and tasty without the need to make a roux, can just cook the celery, onion and garlic in the pot with some oil or bacon grease, then add stock, then add cut up potatoes and cook until they're done. Then use an immersion blender to mix up the potatoes into the soup. Season thoroughly (potatoes NEED salt!). Can add a bunch of cheese (or not); some cream (or not); bacon (well, yes, you really should top the soup with bacon!); add whatever herbs you like with potatoes. I usually end up using sage. If you want a more rustic variation, reserve some of the potato before blending, then add back to the final product. If you want a more refined soup, mix everything well and then strain the soup to remove whatever small pieces remain.

Bruce

I've never used that much bacon in any soup
but
I'm willing to try.

Or you can brown 3 brats cut into 3/4" pieces and brown them with an chopped onion add to two cans of musshyroom soup and two cans milk and 6-8 taters also 3/4" simmer till taters are tender and add a slug of shredded sharp cheddar.
Cheezy brat stew!
Ed

Sounds fantastic but. Parsley work in place of the cilantro? That stuff tastes like a stink bug smells! I got the hate the fark outta cilantro gene!

Sounds fantastic but. Parsley work in place of the cilantro? That stuff tastes like a stink bug smells! I got the hate the fark outta cilantro gene!

I would definitely make that substitution with no problem.

I love cilantro, but would never have thought to put it in potato soup. I'd switch to parsley as well.

Back