• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

how manyt of you drive your woman crazy

smokeswirl

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
My wife definitely goes crazy about the smoked food that I make. Im using an el cheapo Masterbuilt propane/charcoal smoker. I know, I need to get a real smoker but I bought this when I didnt know Jack about smoking and am getting decent results.

But the thing that drives my wife crazy is the purchasing of and desire to purchase bbq stuff, prep time, cook time and mess I make when I smoke.

I cant help myself. Im the kind of guy that gets into something and gets obsessed. Like the time I started roasting my own coffee. Still do by the way.

Im constantly trying to figure out how to improve my cooks. What tools I need or just plain ole want to have.( Step one is a better smoker for sure). i obsess over my cook temperature and the quality of the smoke. Was the rub better the first time or the last? How tender was the meat? Did it have enough of a smoke ring? Was charcoal better with the wood chunks or with gas and the wood chunks? Which charcoal is better? IS lump better than briquettes? Which wood was better? Oak? Cherry? Hickory? (i prefer Cherry).

Anyway I love smoking meats. I love the tinkering with the fire and smoke. I love eating delicious smoked meats. I love serving delicious smoked meats. And I, especially, love this site for giving me a clue how to do it.

Happy 4th everyone

Sometimes I do It has gotten better as she realizes this is what it is and also the food has improved enough that she likes it

I married her that way, and it's been one hell of a ride.

I'm home every weekend, she doesn't have to cook, and when cooking big I also invite one or two of her friends over....now the biggest reaction I get when I walk in the door is "another package was delivered today".

Guilty! :bow: Same way with all of my hobbies. I dive in head first and accumulate way too much stuff. These boards are awesome for the help and fellowship they provide, but they also make me want more than I need. There's always some other cool toy that you just have to have. The good thing with all of my hobbies though, is that they have all been recyclable, so to speak. I really haven't spent any "NEW" money getting into a new hobby in years. I sold my motorcycle and dove into guns, rifles and reloading. Still love that hobby, but sold some of that stuff and got heavy into RC aircraft the last 4 years. Really love that still, but sold some of my planes and excess equipment to purchase my CL WSM, CL OTG Kettle and a Maverick after my Chargriller w/SFB gave me a lesson in frustration over temp control. The IQ pit controller for the WSM is very tempting but so far, I've been able to convince myself that although my WSM runs a little hot, I've got no trouble keeping a steady temp for long periods of time. No doubt though, that at some point, I'll probably cave and dump the $200 on that too... just because it's cool. My wife has been a trooper through it all though, because like many of our wives, she knows I could be doing much worse things. My hobbies have kept me busy and out of trouble. :grin:

Hell. I talked my wife into joining. Of course, she's an excellent cook in the first place, and became just as interested in smoking as I did. Besides. I need her to do the chicken, which she does SO MUCH better than I ever did.

BBQ is like hopping in the sack with a woman. When you're new to it, you worry a lot about every little thing. After a while, you know it's going to be good so you just have fun and let things happen.

Mine got mad at me for not letting her use my grills on fathers day. I was smoking ribs and chicken and she said she wanted to do it to give me a day off of cooking. She just doesn't understand that part of the joy of eating bbq is making it

My wife loves the smoked meat. She has no desire to use the grills or smoker, though.

She's smart . . . :razz:

Mines pretty cool about it, although up here in canada theres not a whole lot i can just go out and buy, so that part is a non issue. I have a buddie that his wife rides him to sell of his grills, im kinda on her side though cause he dont really use em and he has 2 uds, an a 18.5 wsm, that sit there cluttering up the yard. I use my stuff fairly regular and all my smokers get a turn.

Hell. I talked my wife into joining. Of course, she's an excellent cook in the first place, and became just as interested in smoking as I did. Besides. I need her to do the chicken, which she does SO MUCH better than I ever did.

This right here.

Although ... my ex wife didn't care for the hobby much. Always complained about spending money on this or that, but of course loved eating it. Just one of the many reasons she's an ex.

So, I went out and found a girl who shares my interests.

EXACTLY......I'm an idiot when it comes to chicken..........she's way better...........and does an awful lot of sides & prep stuff in the house to go along with............

She bought her own One Touch Gold 'cause she said all mine smelt like smoke & wanted one just for grilling...........

All my meats drive the ladies crazy. i mean they enjoy my meat in their mouth. i mean... Yes

When i first get into any hobby, I am always looking at gadgets and items etc and I always say "I NEED THEM" However when actually spending the money, I look at can I use it to multitask, do I have something that already does that job, and can I make bbq just as good without that item.

I dont think there is anything wrong with jumping into a hobby feet first. I would support my wife (if I had one) in her hobbies and she better do the same for me. I saw a sign once and I have lived by it, and my life has been better for it. It read "Show some F***ing Passion in your personal and professional life" There is nothing wrong being passionate about a hobby. Just make sure to show your wife some passion as well. I think everybody on this forum has their passion for bbq and shows it every chance they get.

I think Man and Fire is a primal thing that most women should try to understand. Besides, a man's obsession with meat and fire in the backyard means that he's home with his family. How can that be a bad thing...

I was looking at the list of certified BBQ judges, and I was surprised at the number of couples who are judging. Sometimes obsessions can become contagious in a good way.

I'm home every weekend, she doesn't have to cook, and when cooking big I also invite one or two of her friends over....now the biggest reaction I get when I walk in the door is "another package was delivered today".

i know that look and reaction. delivery trucks go to my neighbor down the street every afternoon and when she catches me watching the truck she ask " what did you order now" :doh:

Back