The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   BBQ Champs Academy (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=274499)

eap0510 08-07-2019 01:38 PM

BBQ Champs Academy

Has anyone purchased any of the instructional videos from this site? I was thinking about purchasing Robby Royal's videos but I am unable to find any reviews. If you have purchased the videos how relevant are they to today's contests?

https://bbqchamps.com/

ronbrad62 08-07-2019 02:12 PM

That is quite a steep price, but it is convenient to rewind and review as often as you need to. For that, it had better be a TELL ALL set of videos.

eap0510 08-07-2019 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronbrad62 (Post 4213825)
That is quite a steep price, but it is convenient to rewind and review as often as you need to. For that, it had better be a TELL ALL set of videos.

I could not agree more that is why I am asking about a review. The cost is the same as if one was to take a class.

midwest_kc 08-07-2019 02:31 PM

I would actually expect a tell all class online to be more. Too easy to share with friends, etc the video. At least if you share notes from a class the notes are your interpretation of what was said, and they are going to interpret things how they do as well. This is sharing the actual class with them.

That said, Kosmo's videos were more affordable.

Slamdunkpro 08-07-2019 04:16 PM

For that money I'd prefer to be able to ask questions and get some help tailoring the program to my cookers.

ClaytonSmoke 08-07-2019 05:08 PM

I like the idea of being able to go back and watch again. However, none of these teams are currently anywhere close to ToY. You might find the techniques are a bit dated relative to what you get attending a cook school from a current team.

egorham 08-07-2019 08:38 PM

While I don't know these specific videos I have spent a lot of time going through videos on Youtube and listening to many years of category round tables on the BBQ Central radio show. I think if you spent the time searching for it you can piece together enough sources to get all of this information. I would also suggest that if you choose to pay that much make sure that the pitmaster in the video is using the same or very similar cooker as you. While the knowledge is transferable from one smoker to the next that is a lot to pay for a process you are going to have to adapt to a different cooker.

The most helpful videos/podcasts I have found are:

BBQ Central show round tables. While they have not done them in a while you can go through the archives and find them. They also did interviews with the previous years Team of the Year in each category the last couple of years. They really go into the full process for each meat. I wish they had a directory of the round tables and Team of the Year category interviews to make it easier to find them. I think the Darren Warth interviews and round tables are excellent, he really goes into his process.

Youtube Videos. Most recently I have been watching the NBBQL videos. The trimming videos go over how to trim each meat but also go through what to look for in the different meats. Malcolm Reed has a lot of good videos, more backyard than comp but the recent competition rib video he did with Heath Riles was good.

eap0510 08-08-2019 06:15 AM

So far everyone's feedback is exactly what I was thinking in that the videos are nice one has the option is rewinding and reviewing them as needed. On the other hand the teams represented in the videos are no longer really competing that frequent on the circuit anymore making them possibly not relevant for today's standards.

Anyone else?

midwest_kc 08-08-2019 10:03 AM

I'm curious about the steak classes. I have struggled in the 2 SCA comps that I've done, but I've got 1 or 2 more this year, and plan to do more next year. I enjoy them, but am really struggling. Being that there's no SCA classes in this area yet, I'm wondering if this would get me headed in the right direction.

NoNotTheDuo 08-09-2019 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midwest_kc (Post 4214040)
I'm curious about the steak classes. I have struggled in the 2 SCA comps that I've done, but I've got 1 or 2 more this year, and plan to do more next year. I enjoy them, but am really struggling. Being that there's no SCA classes in this area yet, I'm wondering if this would get me headed in the right direction.

I really liked Kosmo's Steak Class. He's done it for one-time fee a couple of times, but my quick googling seems to show that it's only part of his Kosmos Q Club for now. You can join for $47 for a one month subscription and watch as many videos as you want in that one month. And download the PDFs with the recipes and save them for later.

https://www.kosmosqclub.com/order-form-kqclub-2

Burnt at Both Endz 08-09-2019 09:42 AM

If you take a class, you can always call the teacher at a later date for clarification or just to bounce an idea off them. It's not just a one day education per say!

Rescuesmokers 08-25-2019 08:56 AM

BBQ Champs Academt\y

Quote:

Originally Posted by eap0510 (Post 4213819)
Has anyone purchased any of the instructional videos from this site? I was thinking about purchasing Robby Royal's videos but I am unable to find any reviews. If you have purchased the videos how relevant are they to today's contests?

https://bbqchamps.com/

Hey this is Robby Royal of the Rescue Smokers, I hope I can answer some of your questions and concerns. I appreciate your interest in my 100% Tell All Class on BBQ Champs Academy. My online class at BBQ Champs Academy covers every aspect of competition BBQ as well as for the backyard BBQer. With my class you get 5 meats, Loin, Chicken, Ribs, Pork, and Brisket. This online class is the exact information you would get at one of my live classes with the advantage of replay. Many of my class participants have won Grand and Reserve Grand Championships in the GBA and KCBS. As well as several teams making finals in MBN events.
The videos cover everything from meat choice, trimming, recipes for injections, sauces, rub combinations, cooking techniques, fire management, woods used for flavor, and building competition turn in boxes. You will see EVERY PRODUCT I use and how it is used! The GREAT advantage of the BBQ Champs Academy All Access Packages in play back from now on as long as there is internet. Detailed High definition video filmed professionally. Check out the way the videos are broken down, pictures of turn in boxes built during the videos, and you can also see a video preview at this link:
https://bbqchamps.com/pitmasters/robby-royal/
If you buy the "All Access" for my class, you will have access to my BBQ Champs Private Facebook page where I will be available in live videos to answer questions regularly.
I still compete in about 15 or so contests per year, I compete mainly in the Georgia BBQ Association. This year I was runner up (2nd place) in the Toty Points Race as well as being the TOTY champion in Pork and Ribs. I was the GBA TOTY Champion in 2015-2016 winning TOTY in Loin, Pork, and Ribs. 2nd TOTY in 2016-2017 GBA Season,2nd Place TOTY in 2017-2018 GBA Season.
I cook the MBN-Big Pig Jig every year, I have came in 2nd four years in a row out of over a 100 teams.
I have also competed in 2 KCBS events this year and one FBA contest.

The BBQ Champs Academy has only been live for about 8 weeks but we have had amazing feedback. Please go to the following link for reviews:
https://www.facebook.com/pg/bbqchamp...=page_internal
Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any further questions and thank you again for your interest in my online class.
Thank you,
Robby Royal
Rescue Smokers
[email protected]

Rescuesmokers 08-25-2019 09:01 AM

Yes sir, that is 100% accurate!!! If you purchase the "All Access" you will have access to my PRIVATE BBQ Champs Academy Facebook Page for special posts, additional tips on other meats, and occasional one on one videos with date and time posted ahead of time so you can plan to join and ask your questions.
Thank you,
Robby Royal
Rescue Smokers

Rescuesmokers 08-25-2019 09:20 AM

Rescue Smokers - Still Very Current

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClaytonSmoke (Post 4213855)
I like the idea of being able to go back and watch again. However, none of these teams are currently anywhere close to ToY. You might find the techniques are a bit dated relative to what you get attending a cook school from a current team.

The Rescue Smokers compete in over 15 comps per year with most being in the Georgia:
I don't compete in many KCBS anymore due to me job, don't have mane close ones to South Georgia and I normally can't get away from work before about noon on Fridays.

2015-2016 Georgia BBQ Association TOTY Champion, TOTY in Loin, Pork, & Ribs
2016-2017 GBA TOTY 3rd Place Overall, GBA TOTY 1st Loin, 3rd Pork, 5th Ribs
2017-2018 GBA TOTY Runner-up, GBA TOTY in Ribs, 2nd TOTY in Loin
2018-2019 GBA TOTY Runner-up, GBA TOTY in Pork & Ribs

2013 MBN - Big Pig Jig Georgia State Champion
2015-2018 - Big Pig Jig State Champion Runner-up

Rescuesmokers 08-25-2019 09:29 AM

BBQ Champs Academy

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slamdunkpro (Post 4213847)
For that money I'd prefer to be able to ask questions and get some help tailoring the program to my cookers.

What you said is all part of an "ALL ACCESS PACKAGE" from a Pitmaster on the BBQ Champs Academy.
Thanks,
Robby
Rescue Smokers