The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Catering, Food Handling and Awareness (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Holding pork & brisket for vending (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173433)

stokestackbbq 10-18-2013 07:58 AM

Holding pork & brisket for vending

How do you hold your pulled pork & brisket when vending? I used the drippings to keep them moist, but the product ended up very oily (and orange...). The second day, I separated the fat, mixed the drippings down 50/50 with water and added a little BBQ sauce. Turned out a little better, but still not great.

Also, my ribs seemed to dry out after about 2 hours in a cambro. Any ideas for me there?

BigBellyBBQ 10-19-2013 12:41 PM

never ever dried out in cambros...ribs are stored whole not sliced, and brisket I use minors beef base and keep slices moist...you can vacuum pack slices and warm in the bag for a few minutes..and pork butts are done days ahead of time.pulled sauced and wraped in plastic ..place back in smokers about 6 or 7 am in cambros at internal 175/180 the hold temp all day for pork use hot water to moisten in your holding serving station..

stokestackbbq 10-19-2013 06:40 PM

I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for that Minors beef base. Sounds easy enough, little base, little water, dump in the slices. As for the pork I'm surprised all you use is hot water- but I'll try that out next time!

I was comparing my meat prices with those @ restaurant depot in Buffalo, and it looks like I'm overpaying by a bunch (2.99 AA brisket, 2.49 boston butt, 2.99-3.49 st louis ribs). I may drive down to Buffalo for my next event- I'll be sure to stop by for some bbq!

BigBellyBBQ 10-20-2013 07:48 AM

baby backs are 2.09..st loise 2.29
1.24 or something like that for butts, I just did a party yesterday that did a bunch of ribs n butts...
all my butts are injected, mixture of sugar/salt/juice/vinegar, if I have to do 20 or 30, or even if only 2, they are rubbed, placed in smoker , then injected, this keeps the mess down and the juice stays in cooker..I never foil brisket or butts, sometimes I do foil ribs for an hour the re-bark..
When butts are pulled, a splash of rub n sauce n juice goes in just to keep pork moist...then wrapped in plastic..then foil to get ready to freeze or re-heat, thats why I can get away with water or water down some sauce..lots of flavour already in there..keep the sauce warm though, so you dont chill the meat, in your warmers when times are slow, pull your meat to the front and put sauce in the back to warm
up..
Minors beef, pork, chicken, turkey, seafood,vegatable, chipotle, ham are available at rest depot...
more flovours available direct at soupbase..
Any given day around 8 am I could meet you ar rest depot and introduce you to the meat manager