Hi from St Louis

KevinInStL

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hello all. I've grilled a bit in the past, but since I got a new Weber kettle a few weeks ago I've really been getting into grilling and smoking more seriously. I've read a few threads here and figured I might as well sign up.

Might have my eyes on a 18" WSM or a Oklahoma Joe's Bronco for my Christmas list this year, depending on how good I can get at low & slow with the Weber kettle.

Cheers and happy smoking :wave:

Welcome Kevin

Quite a few Brethren from your neck of the woods.

They even have meat ups once in a while.

Where abouts, roughly, in St. Louis?

My kid is at SLU, so I find myself in Central West End/Vandenter/Midtown/Forest Park areas quite often, and checking out the restaurants both Q and not.

Love how the trolleys finally got going on Del Mar loop

Again, welcome

Welcome! My kid and grand daughter are up there. Bunch of great folks up your way we've met from the Bash!

Welcome to the forum from Victoria, Aust.
Nice friendly bunch here that are very sharing with information.
Enjoy your time here, I sure have

Welcome Kevin

Quite a few Brethren from your neck of the woods.

They even have meat ups once in a while.

Where abouts, roughly, in St. Louis?

My kid is at SLU, so I find myself in Central West End/Vandenter/Midtown/Forest Park areas quite often, and checking out the restaurants both Q and not.

Love how the trolleys finally got going on Del Mar loop

Again, welcome

Cool! I'm in South City. For the first 33.5 years of my life I was in the Shaw/Tower Grove area, just a couple miles south of SLU. Now I'm a few miles to the southwest, still just inside the City of St. Louis near the border of Shrewsbury & Maplewood. South Grand, the Grove, and the Loop are probably my favorite cultural areas in St. Louis.

I actually graduated from SLU High School and often hung out at SLU on weekends while I was going to school at UMSL. I often wish I would've just gone to SLU instead. It's a great school. But anyway, I digress...

If you've been around SLU, I assume you've been to Pappy's. You should also check out Sugarfire, Salt & Smoke, and Bogart's, as time allows. There are plenty of great non-BBQ restaurants here too, as it sounds like you've figured out on your trips here. Check out South Grand if you're in the mood for some awesome ethnic food. Cheers! :smile:

Welcome to the forum from sunny SE Arizona.

Welcome, come on in, take your shoes off and sit a spell.

Oh dang I almost forgot! There's a new BBQ place (also very close to SLU, Bill-Chicago) that's pretty awesome. It's called Beast Butcher & Block and it's in the Grove. I've just been there once so far but I highly recommend it. I was there on a slow Monday evening and was able to meet and chat with the owner for a few minutes. He is a great guy and he obviously knows how to make great BBQ. The Grove location is actually his second. The original (which I haven't been to) is across the river in Belleville, IL.

If you've been around SLU, I assume you've been to Pappy's. You should also check out Sugarfire, Salt & Smoke, and Bogart's, as time allows. There are plenty of great non-BBQ restaurants here too, as it sounds like you've figured out on your trips here. Check out South Grand if you're in the mood for some awesome ethnic food. Cheers! :smile:

LOL

I started chronicling my STL BBQ visits in the following thread:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=247844

Feel free to add to it as even though it resurrects a thread, its better to have more info in one place

There are a number of ethnic places on my list.

With the PA program, she'll be there another 4 years or so :)

Back