1/2 chickens help

Capt ron

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey everyone!
Need some help please... I am requested to cook 1/2 chickens(1.25-1.50 lbs each). Can someone tell me how to cook the darn things direct and indirect?

Thank in advance for the help Capt

Hey everyone!
Need some help please... I am requested to cook 1/2 chickens(1.25-1.50 lbs each). Can someone tell me how to cook the darn things direct and indirect?

Thank in advance for the help Capt

First question is what do you have to cook on?

with half chickens, I like to take my mom's roast chicken recipe over to the grill. 400 degrees, around one hour. Nice and juicy, a little bit of smoke, and nice crisp skin. I think that might be blasphemy though. If you're cooking on large scale that might be harder to pull off than low and slow.

You have two options: Hot or Slow. Either could turn out great. I'd cook them to 145 in the breast (some would say hotter, but this is a safe temp and will not dry out, IMHO), tent with foil, and rest. Sauce if you must. You could put them back on to set the sauce, or you don't have to. If I'm making a lot of chicken for a catering event, I'll sauce in the pan as I pull them off. They don't go back on the grill. Typically for both ease and keeping my grill/smoker clean since I might need it for another round of chicken or something else.

Some kind of brine or marinade would be a must for me, too. Italian dressing or a salt/sugar brine is simple enough.

What I cook on

I am cooking on a Tucker Cooker... Also the warmer box on the end I can keep things warm or I can get it up to about 200-225 degrees and the grate is adjustable for grillling, bbqin' and smokin'...
buildtucker-cooker-brown.jpg

BBQOnTucker.jpg

CookerAdvertizement.jpg

Last edited:
Nice looking cooker there CR. Todd's suggestions are good. He even has a killer yard bird rub if you are interested. I used it last weekend to rave reviews.

We just cooked 40 halves on Aug 26. We really didn't do too much prep work other than just to "clean" them up. Sprinkled some of my home made rub on most. Left some plain for those that do not like a lot of flavor.

We cooked in an offset stick burner at around 250. Let them cook for 1 hour before doing anything. Then flipped them and moved them end to end on the cooker at the sfb end is hotter.

Cooked another hour. Done the same thing. Sprayed them with apple juice. We are now 2 hours into the cook. Checked a few temps. Cooked another half hour. Checked again. Sprayed, checked temps. The temps were coming up real nice. Sauced some that the temps were coming up rather well. Cooked another half hour and sauced. Checked temps and pulled pulled the ones that were 173 in the thigh. I have found at that temp, they are done, the breast is still nice and moist, and they have a nice color.

Cook time I estimate and plan on 3 to 3 1/2 hours....

Here is a link to the other thread with pics for the chicken and the rest.... just scroll down you will find the birds.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31268

Hope this helps.

Bill

Last edited:
Thanks Bill... It helps out alot!
Will let you know how I make out after function...

Thanks Bill... It helps out alot!
Will let you know how I make out after function...

Please do. Everyone is well please with the chicken since I started doing it this way. At the end, if someone wants either dark or white meat, just chop off the leg quarter and serve.

Bill

Back