Apple vs Cherry wood preference?

Trumpstylz

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
For those of you that have tried both, which do you prefer?

Can you describe the difference?

I prefer apple although cherry seems to give a richer smoke ring. It's just a personal preference, I think cherry gives the meat a little too much of a bitter flavor.

Used Cherry on a brisket, was good just a little strong (might have used a little much) & just used apple on a roaster chicken very good and not overpowering at all (even mixed mesquite in with it)!

I sway in favor of apple I feel it gives the food a sweet consistent flavor as already stated smoke ring is not as good but cherry can sometimes get bitter for my taste both are good woods I use both just more fond of the smooth sweet apple flavor

I go back and forth, so far everything I have bbq with cherry has been great. Not that my cooks with apple were bad by any means. I just prefer cherry

I prefer cherry, seems to give a deeper smoke flavor. i dont use much, about 3-4 golf ball size

I'll usually use them mixed, 2 chunks apple to 1 cherry. I like the results. Sweet with a nice ring.

I've noticed Cherry does a little better on color, but didn't really know a huge difference in taste over the Apple.

I like using apple and cherry at the same time. I do like using cherry only when I do ribs. I really love the color and the sweet flavors it imparts. I personally haven't noticed any bitterness when I have used either wood.

I think that apple has a sweeter flavor. I do use a combination of both but I burn mostly Apple. I will throw in some cherry when finishing ribs and for an hour or so before I cover my Brisket and Butts. I do not burn cherry with Chicken, I find it imparts too much smoke flavor.

I would have said apple was my favorite until a few months ago when I tried cherry, now that is my go to for pretty much everything. Rich color, awesome smoke ring and mild smoke flavor are the big wins for me.

I prefer the flavor of apple, but cherry is great for color.

Back