What is "turbinado sugar" and where is it found?

beerguy

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Guys, can you tell me what turbinado sugar is, whether its a brand name or a type of sugar? Phil uses it on his prime rib and filet mignons that got raves. I looked for it in the spice sections of the local grocery chains but came up empty. Any help will be appreciated.

Rick

Turbinado is the raw cane sugar after the first pressing. The granules are larger, and it has a brown tint to it as it still contains some of the natural molasses. It does have a distinctive flavor and it breaks down or carmelizes at a higher temp than brown sugar, or white "refined" sugar.

Sugar in the raw is a brand name.
http://www.sugarintheraw.com/

"Sugar in the Raw" is a brand name turbinado sugar...here in FL (and other sugar producing areas) we can get regional "brands", too.

Rick,
Don.t limit yourself to the prime rib though and filets.

Turbinado goes good on everything. Butts, ribs, etc. Adds sweetness to your brisket bark too.

beerguy said:
Thanks guys, now I know what to look for.

Wow, that was pretty cool Beerguy. Response time, even on a Sunday, was well under 1/2 hour.

Gotta love these guys

Kevin, after viewing your link, I think this sugar is what you get in Ireland in packets for your coffee. Love Ireland, hated there coffee, and it wasn't the sugar, I think it was rthe water. Better for making beer than coffee. Thx for the link.

This is a great coincidense. I recently read an article about using the raw brown sugar instead of the white sugar. The article said the raw sugar is better for you than white. Ive been using it in my coffee at 7-11's. You can taste the molasses.

Now I know what to buy too. Thanks for asking the question Rick.

I will also add the following:

1. It is lower in calories than traditional "brown sugar" (which is white sugar colored with mollases)

2. Since it is more of a complex carbohydrate than white sugar it is better tolerated by diabetics (or at least in my experience).

3. C&H "Pure Cane Sugar" is the same; "raw" sugar.

Absolutely, Brauma! Sugar in the Raw tastes awesome in coffe AND tea! I use that or honey (coffee only) in mine.

I thought it came from crushing little turbinados and boiling them down into a syrup. Poor little bastards.

Hoorenga said:
I thought it came from crushing little turbinados and boiling them down into a syrup. Poor little bastards.

Some say that "free range" turbinados make the best sugar.

racer_81 said:
From the great Plains ?

racer_81 said:

I hope they can outrun the fires!

Is there a season for those little guys or is it open all year long?

Pete
Hicksville N.Y.

smokeeater said:
Is there a season for those little guys or is it open all year long?

Pete
Hicksville N.Y.

Not sure but the License is expensive. Also they have to be shot with the scope upside down,

Try "muscovado" sugar. I use it on ribs when I foil them. The stuff is intense!

Or if your in part of Louisiana that wasn't devistated by hurricanes, jut pick some sugar cane, throw it in the street, run over it a few times with your pickup truck then come back the next day to scrape up the residue.

Back