The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Catering License... (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67930)

JD McGee 08-30-2009 06:00 PM

Catering License...

I just applied for a mobile catering license and it was approved...lord have mercy...what have I just gotten myself in to?...:eek: Everyone (family and freinds) asks "when are you going to start your own business"?...well...I guess I just did.

I plan on it being a part time gig in the off season as a way for Brian (Swamprb) and I to raise some extra $ for all the summer comps...:-P

I'm just now delving in to all the legal chit involved and haven't even hit the HD page yet...:shock:

Advice is most welcome...

JD

NorthwestBBQ 08-30-2009 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD McGee (Post 1012073)
I just applied for a mobile catering license and it was approved...lord have mercy...what have I just gotten myself in to?...:eek: Everyone (family and freinds) asks "when are you going to start your own business"?...well...I guess I just did.

I plan on it being a part time gig in the off season as a way for Brian (Swamprb) and I to raise some extra $ for all the summer comps...:-P

I'm just now delving in to all the legal chit involved and haven't even hit the HD page yet...:shock:

JD

Can I have a job with your catering business?

smoke it if ya got it 08-30-2009 06:11 PM

alright get those feet wet

big brother smoke 08-30-2009 06:16 PM

Congrats! And so it begins http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=51391

Willard 08-30-2009 06:25 PM

Start drinking,,,,,,,,Heavily!:biggrin: It's alot of work, but does come with some rewards. Try to start out small, work your way up into the larger jobs, you don't wan't to overwhelm yourself in the begining.

Read lots, ask lots of questions, be a good friend with you HD dept.

Good luck.

C Rocke 08-30-2009 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD McGee (Post 1012073)

JD

I say HD first, as they determine a lot of the "legal chit". Plan, stick to it, know your costs, and don't be afraid to say no.

JD McGee 08-30-2009 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthwestBBQ (Post 1012082)
Can I have a job with your catering business?

Yes...you can take the pics for the website I do not have yet...:twisted:

Quote:

Originally Posted by big brother smoke (Post 1012087)

...and it's all YOUR fault...my wife took one look at your website and said "That's what I want us to do"...:roll: She forgets we do not live in California anymore...:lol::lol::lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by C Rocke (Post 1012132)
I say HD first, as they determine a lot of the "legal chit". Plan, stick to it, know your costs, and don't be afraid to say no.

Noted...thanks!

Chuckwagonbbqco 08-30-2009 11:02 PM

The best way to make a small fortune in catering is to start out with a large fortune.

The key to a successful catering business is to have a spouse with a good job

blues_n_cues 08-31-2009 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuckwagonbbqco (Post 1012339)
The best way to make a small fortune in catering is to start out with a large fortune.

The key to a successful catering business is to have a spouse with a good job

thats what i did.:icon_blush:

JD McGee 08-31-2009 01:27 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the link bro...I've got some serious homework to do! :icon_shy

smokinit 08-31-2009 02:09 PM

Good luck bro lots of help here!!!

Bbq Bubba 08-31-2009 02:10 PM

What do you mean by a mobile catering license?
Do you already have a mobil unit?
What did you do to get this license?
Is it just an expensive piece of paper to get you going?

:lol: :lol:

tmcmaster 09-29-2009 02:07 AM

Quote:

This has been an INVALUABLE thread...

And congrats... starting mine was the best move ever (don't tell the Mrs. i said that...)

grillfella 09-29-2009 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willard (Post 1012098)
Start drinking,,,,,,,,Heavily!:biggrin: It's alot of work, but does come with some rewards. Try to start out small, work your way up into the larger jobs, you don't wan't to overwhelm yourself in the begining.

Read lots, ask lots of questions, be a good friend with you HD dept.

Good luck.

Nice Willard works for us:grin:

JD McGee 09-29-2009 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba (Post 1012954)
What do you mean by a mobile catering license? On-site catering...
Do you already have a mobil unit? Nope...
What did you do to get this license? Just applied on line...
Is it just an expensive piece of paper to get you going?
:lol: :lol:

Is it just an expensive piece of paper to get you going? Yep...pretty much...but ya gotta have it to do things legally. It was not that much...less than 50.00 bucks. The biggest problem is finding an approved kitchen to do my prep work...:roll:...I may have a line on a local church though...keep your fingers crossed! :grin: