The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Jersey Folk ( and probably souther NY and eastern PA) (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=163250)

northernrescue3321 06-13-2013 02:37 PM

Jersey Folk ( and probably souther NY and eastern PA)

I live in north western NJ and need help finding some stuff for smoking gear. Currently I use lump charcoal (Dragons fire) but wanted to experiment with different brands and types and other. I went looking for some briquette style and all I could find is normal type kingsford and the match light. I've checked Lowes and Home Depot. Any other ideas for places to check or types to look for???

DownHomeQue 06-13-2013 02:44 PM

academy? walmart? ace hardware? are you trying to get into heavy duty smoking? or you looking for a backyard beginner pit? i'm not in your area but i can help point you in the right direction

Zippylip 06-13-2013 02:51 PM

I'm pretty close by in SE PA and it's everywhere. As Downhomeque mentioned Walmart & Ace are good places, also if you have Wegmans they carry their own brand which is good (& pretty cheap, about $5.99/10lb bag), ShopRite carries it too at about $11 for a 20lb bag, & there are usually local bbq supply shops tucked here & there that will also carry it. It exists in more places that you might think, just have to poke around because it's not the sort of thing you notice until you start using it...

northernrescue3321 06-13-2013 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DownHomeQue (Post 2514625)
academy? walmart? ace hardware? are you trying to get into heavy duty smoking? or you looking for a backyard beginner pit? i'm not in your area but i can help point you in the right direction

I have my WSM and am enjoying it very much. Was looking more for where to buy stuff that would be a little bigger and more ... well more.

Also was looking as where to buy charcoals and wood in the area. There is only one place I have been able to find and its selection is relatively limited

Hi Cheese 06-13-2013 02:57 PM

I'd be interested in some apple if you come across someone selling. As far as charcoal, you can try some fireplace companies. There's one or two near me (Monmouth county) that sell high end grills. They might carry some brands besides Kingsford. My local Foodtown carries Royal Oak.

northernrescue3321 06-13-2013 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi Cheese (Post 2514650)
I'd be interested in some apple if you come across someone selling. As far as charcoal, you can try some fireplace companies. There's one or two near me (Monmouth county) that sell high end grills. They might carry some brands besides Kingsford. My local Foodtown carries Royal Oak.

Kingsford is al I can seem to find for briquetts but only the Blue bag. I was hoping to find a natural briquette just to avoid the filler. Will the kingsford leave any weird residue or taste??

Zippylip 06-13-2013 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by northernrescue3321 (Post 2514672)
Kingsford is al I can seem to find for briquetts but only the Blue bag. I was hoping to find a natural briquette just to avoid the filler. Will the kingsford leave any weird residue or taste??

I was referring to lump charcoal in my comment above. If briquettes are what you're looking for, they're usually even more readily available. As for Kingsford, I think that depends on who you ask. I only buy Kingsford blue when it comes to that kind of charcoal, but that's probably more of a nostalgia thing than anything else, love the aroma & flavor & it brings me back to the 70's every time it gets lit up.

Edit: I would avoid the matchlight stuff & also avoid lighter fluid in general, that can leave an off taste. But if you light Kingsford blue with a chimney or weed burner it works very well

northernrescue3321 06-13-2013 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zippylip (Post 2514693)
I was referring to lump charcoal in my comment above. If briquettes are what you're looking for, they're usually even more readily available. As for Kingsford, I think that depends on who you ask. I only buy Kingsford blue when it comes to that kind of charcoal, but that's probably more of a nostalgia thing than anything else, love the aroma & flavor & it brings me back to the 70's every time it gets lit up.

Edit: I would avoid the matchlight stuff & also avoid lighter fluid in general, that can leave an off taste. But if you light Kingsford blue with a chimney or weed burner it works very well

Im looking for anything and everything.

I have only used lump till this point so I would like to try briquettes just for the uniformity stand point.

As Ive said, Im still learning so Ill try anything

ryank 06-13-2013 05:38 PM

Bass pro shops has different woods and Bbq accessories. Always worth a look if you happen to be near one. I buy all my wood chunks there (apple, cherry, and peach).

Mahoney86 06-13-2013 05:38 PM

Home Depot by me only carries Kingsford but Lowes Carries Kingsford, Cowboy lump and Royal Oak. I know the local A&P always has big bags of Royal Oak but its crazy priced. Ive always been told Walmart stocks up pretty good with Royal Oak as well.

Id also know where everyone is getting their wood from? Ive got tons of oak and maple that I need to split but it won't be ready til next year. I need to stock up again this year, but my normal place to get cheap wood is almost a 2hr drive south

caseydog 06-13-2013 05:46 PM

I don't know what Kroger affiliate you have near you, but their store-brand charcoal is made by Royal Oak -- both lump and briquettes.

I use Kroger lump. It is cheap, and as good as most other lump I have tried.

CD

northernrescue3321 06-13-2013 05:57 PM

I guess royal Oak is a pretty standard choice and most people like it? Last year when I started doing this with charcoal some things I read said to stay away from royal oak. If this is not the case, maybe Ill pick up a bag.

CtTradArcher 06-13-2013 07:03 PM

I live in Connecticut and was able to buy two 18 lb bags of Kingsford Competition for $18.00 at CostCo. They were bundled together and on sale.

TheJackal 06-13-2013 07:04 PM

Ace carries Wicked Good Weekend Warrior. Wegman's brand is rebranded Royal Oak I believe. You cna also drive to BBQ Guru and get Humphries or Wicked Good lump. Humphries is based in PA so even shipping is not that bad if you order from them. Tractor Supply carries charcoal in season also. My Shop Rite had Mali's last time I was in there. Good stuff! I've found it fairly easy to find a variety of charcoals to try IN SEASON in NJ. It's when you want to do that turkey for Thanksgiving, the Brisket for Christmas, or the Pork Butt's for Superbowl when you might get stuck with Cowboy from Home Depot if you don't stock up.

TheJackal 06-13-2013 07:16 PM

How far are you from Flanders? The Tractor Supply has this on sale right now.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/stor...2?cm_vc=-10005

TSC Store #1155
293 US HWY 206
FLANDERS, NJ
US 07836
(973) 252-2925