The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   MURDERED the turkey...... (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150938)

MisterChrister 01-05-2013 10:48 PM

MURDERED the turkey......

We had a 15# bird to cook today. I wanted to brine it and smoke it on the kettle rotisserie. My wife said she wanted me to keep it simple and just do it inside, "no time for BBQ today". Okay......so I throw it in the oven uncovered at just a little too much heat and a little too long. Just enough for it to look like I tried but still taste like something grandma would make. I guarantee she won't ask me to do it this way again. The stellar gravy made it barely edible! Mission accomplished!:-P

caliking 01-05-2013 10:55 PM

You, sir, are a devil.

landarc 01-05-2013 10:57 PM

So, you purposefully ruined food to make a point?

chriscw81 01-05-2013 11:08 PM

Well played, sir. I commend you. A loss battle in looooong war. ;-)

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

MisterChrister 01-05-2013 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landarc (Post 2318534)
So, you purposefully ruined food to make a point?

Never said it was ruined, just not a cook that will be asked for again! It will all be eaten, and next time it will be enjoyed; smoked and spun!:grin:

campdude 01-05-2013 11:24 PM

Gotta know how to play the game! Bravo:clap2:

Teamfour 01-06-2013 08:39 AM

Well played sir.

fantomlord 01-06-2013 08:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterChrister (Post 2318523)
We had a 15# bird to cook today. I wanted to brine it and smoke it on the kettle rotisserie. My wife said she wanted me to keep it simple and just do it inside, "no time for BBQ today". Okay......so I throw it in the oven uncovered at just a little too much heat and a little too long. Just enough for it to look like I tried but still taste like something grandma would make. I guarantee she won't ask me to do it this way again. The stellar gravy made it barely edible! Mission accomplished!:-P

tell your wife there's always time for BBQ :wink:

I did a 14# turkey for my crew at work the other night in a kettle, and it was moist and deicious...lots of good comments (was told after the fact by one guy he thought there was no way I could get that bird done on the kettle without drying it out completely)
I did a "dry brine" on it for 24 hours, then rested in fridge uncovered for ~16 hours, spatched it, butter/rub under the skin, rub on the underside
2 full chimneys of RO lump with a little bit of hickory, indirect, it was done in 1:45 :shocked: I did have to turn it ~halfway through bcz the skin closes the heat was getting close to burning
155° in the breasts, 175° in the thighs
made good practice for the 24# beast I've got in my freezer :thumb:
Attachment 74237
(sorry for the blurry pic...that's why I didn't post this the other day)

HankB 01-06-2013 08:47 AM

I'm thinking that you've already lost the battle if your wife doesn't think it's worth the time to BBQ (and you have to purposely sabotage the cook to demonstrate the difference.) :twitch:

fantomlord 01-06-2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HankB (Post 2318775)
I'm thinking that you've already lost the battle if your wife doesn't think it's worth the time to BBQ (and you have to purposely sabotage the cook to demonstrate the difference.) :twitch:

didn't he already lose most battles when he put the wedding ring on?
that's how it usually works, right? :tsk:

Grabnabber 01-06-2013 05:07 PM

Quote:

"no time for BBQ today".

:caked: + :loco: + :twitch: + :mad2: = :pray:

Wampus 01-06-2013 05:49 PM

Quote:

"no time for BBQ today

I don't get that. A 15# turkey will take the same amount of time at a given temp no matter whether it's in the oven or the smoker. Brining and other prep time also isn't dependent on how it's cooked.

Ah well. I've been married long enough to know that the wife's logic and the husband's logic sometimes don't jive. :twitch:

fantomlord 01-06-2013 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wampus (Post 2319383)
I don't get that. A 15# turkey will take the same amount of time at a given temp no matter whether it's in the oven or the smoker. Brining and other prep time also isn't dependent on how it's cooked.

Ah well. I've been married long enough to know that the wife's logic and the husband's logic sometimes don't jive. :twitch:

I've been married long enough to know you missed a set of quotes around the words "wife's logic" :biggrin1:

Freddy j 01-06-2013 07:27 PM

Quote:

We had a 15# bird to cook today. I wanted to brine it and smoke it on the kettle rotisserie. My wife said she wanted me to keep it simple and just do it inside, "no time for BBQ today".

I feel sorry that you had to take this approach and waste a day of your life doing something that you didn't want to do (in the grand scheme of things, were not on this planet for all that long).

I am sooooooooooooo glad my wife and I don't have ths kind of relationship.

MisterChrister 01-06-2013 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy j (Post 2319472)
I feel sorry that you had to take this approach and waste a day of your life doing something that you didn't want to do (in the grand scheme of things, were not on this planet for all that long).

I am sooooooooooooo glad my wife and I don't have ths kind of relationship.

Jeesh, I appreciate the condolences but it's a stretch to characterize our marriage by a tussle over turkey time. We have a marriage where sometimes we sacrifice for each other (and our 7 kids). She just didn't want me to take the time to brine, build a fire and tend to the bird on the rotisserie etc. I just wanted to let her taste (an exaggeration of) the difference in what she was missing by "keeping things simple". We still love each other very much and life will go on, even if I would have boiled the bird....