Meat Prices

chinesebob

is Blowin Smoke!
I've been watching meat prices climb and drop all year. I found that I liked getting the leaner flats at costco but they at some point figured out they were too cheap and raised their prices by a bunch - from 2.29/lb to 2.99/lb. They said the last time I was in they may not ever go below 2.59 again.

Their boneless butts are always 1.39/lb and they are big mommas. But the issue there is spoilage. In the last 4 months I've had 4 - 5 spoiled butts I had to return. They're cryo'd so I can't inspect the odor ahead of time.

The slaughter house/meat factory I buy bulk is usually somewhere between 1.25 - 2.19/lb for cryo brisket. I drop about 3lbs of fat when I trim them but they are still a full 10-14lbs afterward. The butts are always bone in and I've never paid more than 1.30 for fresh ones. Literally done that week.

What are you guys paying?

P.S. Any of the Ohio brethren want to buy a case or two of brisket I have no problem with hooking a brother up if it's cheaper for you.

Butts are pretty consistant at .89 to .97 @ pound around here. Packer briskets (CAB) have been running from $1.58 to $1.87 most all year. Last year brisket prices were down close to the price of butts.

A few times a year, the local chain, Shop-Rite, will sell Picnic's for .49 Cents per pound. Although there is a limit to what you can buy, everyone in my family picks up one or two for me and then I load of the freezer.

If I buy quantity, I get them direct from Tyson (wife's aunt works there). I usually pay .99lb for brisket and around 1.75 for pork ribs. They run monthly specials for their employees and I usually get the hookup on certain months.

I found a small chain grocer on the N. side of Detroit that sell's butts for .99/lb full spare's for $1.49/lb and brisket for $1.99/lb which is unheard of around here!!
All cut fresh on site by a "butcher" so i can get custom cut's and special order's. :biggrin:
Stumbled into this place by accident, just killing some time one day!!

Back