Small brisket on a komodo. What would you do?

Rockinar

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Hello all,

As mentioned, I got a Komodo Joe this week. I have been keeping it simple and just doing chicken breasts and just testing to see how the cooker behaves. The chicken breast have been excellent.

Anyway. Cut to the chase. To scratch the itch and help season my Komodo, I bought a small 8 pound packer brisket while at the store. It was just a cheap small Select brisket. Nothing fancy and I'm not expecting to win any awards. It's more for practice and learning the cooker.

So how would you approach a small brisket time (roughly) and temp wise?

...8lbs is small? You probably want 75 minutes per pound at 225F and give it at least 5 hours of smoke

I cook briskets on my KJ on a regular basis. I usually go for packers in the 12 pound range, but cant say I wouldnt be just as happy with an 8 pounder.

I use salt and pepper for seasoning, and I cook them at around 260 overnight. I am a big fan of pecan so that is the wood I use, and I use Royal Oak lump. I have found that my temp will fall less than 10 degrees on an overnight cook.

I dont wrap them until I pull them off. I then wrap it in foil, add a little bit of worcestershire sauce, put in a cooler for a rest and ready to go.

I am a believer of they are done when they probe like butter. Not sure if you have a wireless thermometer but if you do, I set my alarm on mine for 190. That way incase my fire were to get out of control in the middle of the night it would wake me up. Never had that happen, but I dont mind being a little safe. Normally mine proble like butter just over 200 so the 190 is a failsafe.

Hope that helps.

Back