The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Food Handling General Discussion (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Refreezing pork? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97888)

Gerrit_Boys 12-28-2010 09:37 PM

Refreezing pork?

I have some frozen pork loin that I would like to cut into chops. Is it ok to thaw, cut, and refreeze? Any insight as to why or why not would be appreciated. Thanks

RICK Allen 12-28-2010 10:40 PM

I have read and therefor assume it is okay to refreeze although most of us seem to shy away from it, me included, just my .................................02 and am sure there is more ,more knowledgeable here that will speak out, on this

Stoke&Smoke 12-29-2010 04:16 PM

I think that it's safe, but seem to remember reading somewhere that is damages the meats cell walls, and makes the texture less than desired. Never felt like trying it though

Ford 12-29-2010 07:39 PM

ServSafe - raw meat can not be safely thawed and refrozen. As it thaws and sits to be cut and gets back down to temp afterwords the little nasties multiply. Freezing only puts them into a semi hibernation. They grow very slowly at below 28F but they do grow at 0F and if you kept them for months it would be very bad. Fortunately the pork would probably stink enough you would not actually cook it.

Now cooked meat is a little different although it's not allowed by the HD. Only 1 freezing after cooking. For home it should be OK. Personally I'd cut it frozen with an electric knife or a frozen food serrated blade.

Gerrit_Boys 12-29-2010 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ford (Post 1497028)
ServSafe - raw meat can not be safely thawed and refrozen. As it thaws and sits to be cut and gets back down to temp afterwords the little nasties multiply. Freezing only puts them into a semi hibernation. They grow very slowly at below 28F but they do grow at 0F and if you kept them for months it would be very bad. Fortunately the pork would probably stink enough you would not actually cook it.

Now cooked meat is a little different although it's not allowed by the HD. Only 1 freezing after cooking. For home it should be OK. Personally I'd cut it frozen with an electric knife or a frozen food serrated blade.

That's kinda the way I've always lived. I just didn't know why. I think I'll cook them up and give them away. Thanks for the responses.

SouthernMagicBBQ 11-12-2011 01:54 PM

I agree, if it thaws I never refreeze. Any leftovers get tossed to the dogs or into the trash. I don't like the results of eating a dose of nasty unseen critters just waiting to poison someone. Most of the time I don't have enough left over to feed a starving ant in the first place.