• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Buck & Bourbon with Beer Bread

cowgirl

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
This venison recipe was in the LL Bean wild game cookbook that Brethren Phesant so kindly let me borrow. Thanks again Ken! :thumb:

I used some of the little buck I got last deer season.. cubed some of the backstrap, seasoned with salt and pepper, rolled in flour and gave it a quick brown in oil.

c42b475f-1.jpg

e11bd7eb-1.jpg

removed the venison and sauteed some onion, peppers and garlic in the drippngs..

added the venison back to the pot, then added thyme, rosemary, 3 oz of whiskey ( I used crown royal) 1 cup of tomato sauce, 1/2 cup of water and a bouillon cube.

198aa0f3-1.jpg

It's supposed to simmer until tender so I decided to use my drum with small bit of mesquite...

e52008eb-1.jpg

I added some backstrap steaks for a snack...seasoned with a great pepper blend that Phesant also sent...

279f1e1a-1.jpg

the steaks were great! Thanks for the pepper blend Ken.. it's killer!

519bc187-1.jpg

I decided to make some beer bread..... smoked it in the drum...

ed090657-1.jpg

0b5f378b-1.jpg

The Buck & Bourbon with Beer Bread...

fb93a8a1-1.jpg

b73695a3-1.jpg

I'm not a big whiskey drinker but the sip of Crown tasted soooo good with the bowl of venison and hot bread. It definately warmed me to my toes!:p

Thanks for looking!

Looks awesome. The whiskey looks a bit low. I do not let mine get that low until just before my wife says " wake up! you are drunk and need to come to bed!"

I think ya cooked it better than the original LL Bean recipe! :thumb:

That looks great! I wanna give that a whirl when I get my meat back from the butcher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks deliscious as always Jeanie. I'd like to try that with some polenta.

What no reply from the Cowgirl yet? Perhaps she is a Whiskey drinker after all!:becky:

article-1279801952078-0A88AC81000005DC-27272_636x506.jpg

What a great meal for a cool Fall night. As BlueHowler said, the bottle did look a little short. Great job once again, Jeanie.

Looks mighty tasty Jeanie! I'll be thinking about that plate when I take my daily.....um...medicine.:becky:

Thanks friends!

Neil, I like your polenta idea..that would have been great. :thumb:

lol Pat.. I enjoy a crown and coke once in a blue moon.. this sip last night definately melted me.. I went to bed early. :becky:

BlueHowler and Al...I DO need to restock. :)

Phu, aren't drums amazing...I wouldn't trade mine for anything. :)

Thanks again friends and Thanks HWSW Phesant!! I am enjoying the cookbook and will get it back to you asap!

Awesome post.

The L. L. Bean Game and Fish cookbook by Angus Cameron is my favorite cookbook--and I own hundreds of cookbooks.

I have used that same recipe with great tasting results--however your version looks way more photogenic.

The recipe for the Red Wine based BBQ Sauce--that is in that book is a great recipe and we use it often while catering for local wineries. Red Wine from an oak barrel has that "slight" oak taste---paired up with meat smoked over oak coals---the sauce really makes it happen---the glass of red wine in the other hand may help.

The book was out of pRint for a while--but is back in print. I bought a used one at a used book store a few weeks back because my original one was falling apart.

I love your posts and your incorporatin of BBQ/ dutch oven/ down home cookin ----please keep it up.

Back