Pork name changes and pork rule for 2014

Fat Freddy

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I know the dust has just started to settle on the pork rule for 2014, butt now we have the announcement by the beef and pork councils of names changing. Seems the biggest one affecting us comp cooks will be the Pork butt now being called a Boston Roast.

I know of a couple of places I have bought from in the past whos label eliminates the word Boston from a butt as it is. One specifically labels it as a butt roast. However with the new name it seems it MAY leave a bit of confusion, as the rule is written, especially to newer teams. For the majority of us that has cooked we will have no issue with this butt the definition of the rule is that pork is defined as a Boston BUTT, picnic, and/or a whole shoulder.

Obviously the wording on the rule should be rewritten butt I am wondering what will happen when the word ROAST becomes in the rules? Should the rule specify BOSTON Roast(most obvious and simple to me) or will there be some other thought on the wording of the rule.

I am sitting around bored on a cold rainy NW Iowa day and my mind sometimes goes in strange directions but in my opinion this would be a really good time to reevaluate the entire pork rule. It has already been changed somewhat on the parting aspect so maybe this would be the perfect time to think about what portions of meat should be used in regards to pork period.

I will abide by whatever rule is in place and I am not wanting rules changed just for the sake of changing, like I say i am just wondering with the name change and with the parting rule change for 2014, just maybe this might be a good time to think about stuff.

Before I submitted this I looked over at the KCBS website to make sure I had the wording correct on the pork rule. There I noticed the April BOD meeting was posted so i went through it quickly and both the wording of the pork rule and parting were discussed.

You raise a good point. I'm guessing it will have to be re-written so there isn't any rule-bending from anyone or confusion among newer cooks. Although I think most would know what is required.

I myself am just getting up to speed on how to address all the "Boston Roast holes"
that I'm aquainted with...
Ed

HAHAHA, hadn't even thought of the change impacting that. Hilarious. The Board can't catch a break on getting a pork rule hammered down!

Probably because some dip $hit complained that "BUTT" is not Politically correct!!

I made a post about the name changes. They were trying to make the names more appealing to consumers, apparently by naming everything after beef. (A pork chop might now be a "Porterhouse Chop", for example.)

Slamdunkpro is right about using the cut number for clarity. As I understand the announcement, the OLD names are also still considered to be valid. Cuts just might have more than one official name now. It's the vendor's choice as to which one these use. (Still, I understand why they are doing it. "Boston Butt" was off putting to enough people that vendors were changing it randomly for something else. Hopefully it's more standardized now.)

One thing I find interesting about these name changes is the changes are prompted by retailers not using a consistent description of the different cuts. Is there anything in these name changes that will require ALL retailers to use the new names? Or will it be same-o same-o, everyone calls the cuts what they want? Kroeger calls it Boston Roast and Safeway calls it Upper Pork Shoulder for example. Just seems like some "Butt" heads trying to justify their big salaries on these meat boards by showing "progressive thinking". :crazy:

Back