The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   KCBS competition score calculator now available (See what your scores really mean) (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91647)

Harbormaster 09-03-2010 10:33 AM

KCBS competition score calculator now available (See what your scores really mean)

2 Attachment(s)
Hey all,
I have created a spreadsheet that will allow KCBS competitors to see what their competition scores actually mean, and to give you a calculator tool that will allow you to see what would happen if your score in any one of the three criteria were to change.

Download the spread sheet, and in each of the heavily outlined boxes enter your comp scores exactly as they appear on your scoring detail sheet. The spreadsheet will automatically weight the scores you were given, throw out the low score, and tally your actual score for that category as well as your total overall score as you received it at the comp. You can then change any of your scores to see what impact it might have on how you placed in any category as well as overall.

If you have any questions, PM me and we can talk about it.

Edit: I just uploaded an improved version

Anchors Smokeshop 09-03-2010 11:03 AM

Very cool. Thanks for doing this!

Sledneck 09-03-2010 11:09 AM

Great job. No offense but i think its bad karma. Coulda, shoulda, woulda doest exist in comp bbq. I throw out my sheets after the contest weekend is over.

Harbormaster 09-03-2010 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sledneck (Post 1390043)
Great job. No offense but i think its bad karma. Coulda, shoulda, woulda doest exist in comp bbq. I throw out my sheets after the contest weekend is over.

I hear you Sled. This is geared more to comp neophytes like myself who would like to look at what the scores mean, where you were weak, and what improvements you make will have the greatest impacts on your scores.

BTW, contributions can be made to the Wyocena Yacht Club Rescue Shelter for Abused and Neglected BBQ Pits. :becky:

Sledneck 09-03-2010 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harbormaster (Post 1390055)
I hear you Sled. This is geared more to comp neophytes like myself who would like to look at what the scores mean, where you were weak, and what improvements you make will have the greatest impacts on your scores.

BTW, contributions can be made to the Wyocena Yacht Club Rescue Shelter for Abused and Neglected BBQ Pits. :becky:

Great point , didnt think about it like that.

JiveTurkey 09-03-2010 05:18 PM

This is great, thanks for posting. I did my first KCBS comp last weekend and was curious how 5+5+4 added up to 18.8. Yea I'm not joking, that was one score, my ribs sucked! I actually felt bad for the judge that had to eat them. They travelled all day to get to the comp just so they could eat my farked up ribs!

Thanks again.

Harbormaster 09-03-2010 07:11 PM

Thanks JT
I thought it would be helpful to see just how your taste scores impact compared to tenderness and appearance.

Coz 09-04-2010 07:09 AM

BTW, contributions can be made to the Wyocena Yacht Club Rescue Shelter for Abused and Neglected BBQ Pits. :becky:[/QUOTE]

How many more can you rescue and shelter before you need a shelter for yourself ? Or are the boys going to start collecting now?

Harbormaster 09-04-2010 05:06 PM

So, there have been 251 views, has anyone downloaded it and used it?

What do ya think?

BBQ Bandit 09-04-2010 09:19 PM

Nice look... behind the looking glass. Definitely shows a better insight that determines the overall score.

PimpSmoke 09-04-2010 09:30 PM

I used it. It will help in spotlighting where you need to improve.

Unfortunately, it also helps to highlight the judge that kept you from the next place.

Still a nice spreadsheet though.

Now, a spreadsheet that will calculate the ambient temperature, humidity and barometric pressure and tell me how much lump and wood I'll need for my fuel hog......I'd pay for it.:heh:

Harbormaster 09-04-2010 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PimpSmoke (Post 1391578)
Now, a spreadsheet that will calculate the ambient temperature, humidity and barometric pressure and tell me how much lump and wood I'll need for my fuel hog......I'd pay for it.:heh:

Let me get right on that! :thumb:

jbiesinger 09-05-2010 07:18 AM

I haven't looked at your file yet, but it sounds similar to what I've created in excel. We only compete 2-3 times a year, so we have to glean as much out of our scores as we can.

I plot trend lines for each judging category, for each meat and have discovered some interesting trends. For one example, our pork appearance is higher when there is sliced and pulled in the box.

For teams like us that compete infrequently, I can't say enough about breaking down your scores.

Podge 09-05-2010 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sledneck (Post 1390043)

I'm with ya there !!.. I look at them for a few minutes and toss them

lbmksu 06-24-2013 01:09 PM

I think that this is an awesome tool. I've wondered what the result would be if we change something slightly