The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Catering, Food Handling and Awareness (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Is the Mobile Food truck business a fad or here to stay? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=189416)

Bamabuzzard 05-22-2014 02:00 PM

Is the Mobile Food truck business a fad or here to stay?

Just curious what y'alls thoughts are on the food truck business and its future. It seems to me it is nothing more than glorified roadside vending that's been going on for umpteen years. But for whatever reason it is now the latest craze across the country. Thoughts?

deepsouth 05-22-2014 02:06 PM

i think it's here to stay. it's such a great alternative to running a full size B&M establishment, considering the potentially lower start-up costs and flexibility one has with it.

gtr 05-22-2014 02:15 PM

I think here in SoCal the fad part is over and now it's just another way of buying or selling food and it looks to me like it'll be around for a while.

Pyle's BBQ 05-22-2014 02:26 PM

It's here until the B&M guys get them regulated out if existence. Here in Des Moines the city council is cracking down on the mobile food business. Most of them serve Mexican food and I am of sure how many of them are licensed, and the council is trying to put then out of business because they don't look good on the corner vacant lots where they are set up.

I think it comes down to a regional thing. Here they would be open about 8 months out if the year. For it to succeed, I feel you need to be open every day.

mchar69 05-22-2014 04:26 PM

It's a big deal in D.C., but the B&M joints hate them, and are trying to put the screws to get them
put in some zone where it's inconvenient. Politics.
In NYC, you walk down Wall Street or lower Manhattan and get a dog or pizza
and it's GOOD. They are vending carts, not roach coaches.

early mornin' smokin' 05-22-2014 05:21 PM

all depends on where you live. If there's festivals, or a reliable place to park it and do consistent business. It's going to stay. Up here on Long Island. I think it's part fad, part something we'll see for a long time. Out by me there's 50 vineyards, most of which are very receptive to the idea of a food truck(as long as they don't already have food). There's also 2 annual food truck festivals, and there are a few guys running roadside food trucks who do consistent business. Its a tough call. I think ultimately it's a great add on to a B&M, as a stand alone there's a lot of hoops to jump thru.

TailGateJoecom 05-22-2014 05:53 PM

Was just recently reading this,

http://ny.eater.com/archives/2014/05..._truck_era.php

In NYC it is really expensive to get into the food truck space. That coupled with regulatory hoops and the winter months, a lot of guys are figuring out that the money just isn't there. There is a link to a Crains article in that post.

HBMTN 05-23-2014 06:05 PM

Never in a million years could I have thought about opening a restaurant but for the investment of the average cost of a new car I started a mobile food business and have been very successful. I think it's here to stay.

bizznessman 05-23-2014 07:53 PM

I agree that they are here to stay in one form or another. They may end up being more regional due to over regulation in some areas. The point made by others regarding the lower overhead compared to a B&M is very valid and imho this is what will keep them around.

A B&M has some advantages but a food truck has advantages over a B&M. With a truck you can "serve" multiple markets. We have friends in the BBQ biz that have one and they use Twitter and FB to inform their customers where they will be on any given day. In rural areas like ours the ability to "move" your business around increases your sales and ups your gross which would be near impossible out of a B&M that is anchored in one small town.

Personally, I hope they do stick around. The B&M's need some healthy competition. :wink:

landarc 05-23-2014 08:53 PM

I agree with Greg, they were a fad, but, at some point, fad becomes another reality. And that is what they are now. We have many options to dine out here, but, the food trucks offer a wide variety and are popular for many reasons. One of which is not about costs, as many trucks end up costing more than what you would get at a B&M. It is about how many people socialize now, with a preference for group activities and with a tendency to 'want what you want'. We see the "Off-the-Grid" events out here, attended by thousands of people. They end up being the event itself, with people hanging out all day, drifitng from truck to truck, 'noshing' throughout the evening.

Drh7003 05-26-2014 09:44 AM

They aren't super popular around here. there are a few but not many. In my town B & M's are petitioning to put a limit on local licenses via ordinances. In my opinion, a decent parking lot with 20 food trucks would be an excellent "food court" where picky families could satisfy everyone's food cravings. When my kids were younger we went to the food court at the local mall, everyone was happy.

mchar69 05-26-2014 04:22 PM

HBMTN - DO you just pick and choose your venues, do you just do weekends, or everyday? Or somewhere in between?

FlavorSavor 05-26-2014 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HBMTN (Post 2930662)
Never in a million years could I have thought about opening a restaurant but for the investment of the average cost of a new car I started a mobile food business and have been very successful. I think it's here to stay.

Where you located?

HBMTN 05-28-2014 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlavorSavor (Post 2934111)
Where you located?

Just south of you in Rockbridge County, Fairfield to be exact.

HBMTN 05-28-2014 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mchar69 (Post 2933823)
HBMTN - DO you just pick and choose your venues, do you just do weekends, or everyday? Or somewhere in between?

I mostly cater these days but sell road side sometimes along with a few festivals. I am available for catering 7 days a week but usually vend on Saturdays when I do vend. I work full time for family so I can take off work to cater anytime. I will most likely go 100% BBQ in the next year.