smoked cheese question

fantomlord

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
ok...I'm planning to make my first attempt at cold smoking some cheese. I was wondering what woods everybody likes to use.
planning to do some cheddar, gouda, and a block of cream cheese...and maybe others if I pick some more up before I start.

Thanks for the input!

Just recently started cold smoking cheese but so far I've used hickory and a 50/50 mix of maple and oak with cheddar with great results. Still need to try some other varieties (Gouda in particular) and will probably try apple with that just for variety. Half the fun of smoking cheese has been just playing around with the combinations.

The softer cheese needs MUCH less smoke than harder cheese.
Be careful on your gouda, and cream they will prolly only need 30 45 mins depending on home much smoke you are cranking.

thanks! I'm planning on using the soup can + soldering iron method
we've got a pretty high smoke-flavor threshold here
and yes...experimenting and trying different combinations is certainly fun!

thanks! I'm planning on using the soup can + soldering iron method
we've got a pretty high smoke-flavor threshold here
and yes...experimenting and trying different combinations is certainly fun!

That's one I have not tried, but in both of my box smokers (with electric elements), if the smoke stream got too heavy, or the temp got higher than I wanted.... I just unplugged it for 15 minutes.

Bout time you tried the soup can trick. BTW don't use a tomato soup can. To much red. :loco:

It's a matter of preference, even too much of a milder smoke (like apple) can leave a bad taste in your mouth, and a mild application of hickory can be great.

You will have to use trial and error to find the results you like.

My favorite smoke for a milder cheese is apple, for stronger I use maple.

The length of smoking time can vary on the smoker size, and the size of the cheese blocks. I prefer to smoke my cheese for about 3 hours when using the A-Maze-N Pellet Smoker.

Keep a small block of cheese just for sampling in the smoker, and then in the resting period in the refrigerator.

Keep in mind that tasting in the smoker will render a very strong flavor, and may seem like too much. When wrapped and rested it will yield a milder taste. This is a skill you will have to learn as you cold smoke many different foods.

Back