Ceramic Grill/Smoker Recommendations???

C

czerwisp

I've been looking at getting a ceramic grill/smoker...in particular, the BGE, Grill Dome, and Kamado. Anyone have any thoughts as to which one stands out above the others? And why?

I have Large BGE and Primo XL. Both great ceramic grills but Primo far superior for versatility and cooking indirect and being able to sear direct to finish.

I love my Large BGE Awesome warranty and customer service A full load of charcoal last forever- easily > 24 hrs. It is a great bsmoker and grill Lots of accessories via the ceramic grill store that can expand the eggs cooking ability

I have an XL BGE and it has enough room for direct/indirect. BGE has a lifetime warranty which helped sway me. Also more dealer support, at least in my area.

High end- my #1 choice would be Primo (or BGE)

Med end- costco kamado

Low end- Char griller kamado (akorn)

Clay Kamado

I'd rather be smoking on my 1990 Imperial Kamado.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am a Kamado Joe guy all the way. Better seal than BGE and better fit and finish than the primo I looked at and cheaper than either.

As I type this I have some bacon and pastrami smoking on my first egg that I bought six years or so ago. I can't speak to the other brands but I can say I love my eggs and the customer service has been top notch.

My only advice is decide what size you need and then get the next size bigger.

+1 for Kamado Joe. Excellent product, premium fit and finish and a company that stands behind what they sell. Want to talk to the owner? Call the office. They are first class in every way.

+1 for Kamado Joe. Excellent product, premium fit and finish and a company that stands behind what they sell. Want to talk to the owner? Call the office. They are first class in every way.

Should I speak in Mandarin or Cantonese when I call him?

I kid, I kid....

I have a large BGE and love it. The Primo is an excellent smoker/grill but the XL Oval should not be compared to the large BGE or the regular size Kamado Joe... It is priced like the XL BGE... and a little above the Big Joe... both of which have more grilling surface. I would have to agree with rwyatt... The Kamado Joe is equal to or better than BGE and Primo in finish, accessories are interchangable. Haven't seen the Vision Kamado (Costco) but early reports say it's OK and Costco's return policy makes it easier to take a chance on a new brand. If you see a cooker labeled simply "Kamado" Run! Do not walk away. There is a website dedicated to the problems and utter lack of customer support of the brand. http://www.kamadofraudforum.org/

The Grill Dome is pretty (several colors) and has machined surfaces under the gasket... Which minimizes leakage. Posters on their forum sometimes mention contacting the owner directly... When he is in the country. I didn't want to buy mail order so I contacted a dealer in St Louis... Across the state from me. He was dropping Grill Dome in favor of Primo or Kamado Joe because he was having trouble getting orders filled on time.

Last edited:
I have two bge. I like them but the gasket fried pretty quickly. Very annoying. I've also had a steel keg and recommend it. (though not ceramic)

Last year I had my heart set on a BGE, then a Primo XL. Less than a year ago one of our members posted a thread where his BGE lid slid out of the band and crashed to the ground just days after it was tightened and I have to say I still think I hear it crashing to the ground again whenever I think of it. It was replaced for free but still -- he had to go through the first shock/wonder/worry, making a phone call to enquire and more worry and waiting to hear if he was covered by warranty. The lid was replaced for free but still he couldn't cook on until he received it and must experience residual trauma every time he picks the lid up -- I know I would. I also didn't like that BGEs are never allowed to go on sale -- what's that about? Just because you are the best or one of the best doesn't mean you have to be a snob. I've seen a Primo XL on sale. I looked around online and decided I liked and wanted Primo XL instead. The thing is, when I looked at them at the store I was hard pressed to figure out why they cost $1200 with no cart or accessories. Found a Vision Kamado at Canadian Tire last May ON SALE $100 off -- for $699 I got a kamado, cart, smoking/pizza stone and two-tiered grill. I really loved it at the beginning but over time I'm seeing things I wish were better quality -- like the lining up of the attached swinging tables (one side has to be bent to be able to swing up), some of the paint layer came off in three spots the first week, just the size of a dime but still needs to be repainted. I don't remember bumping the paint, I was pretty careful with it. The big plus Vision has is that the upper and lower bands are inset into tracks so it's impossible for its lid to slip out like that BGE did. Primo does not have an inset track for the band, either, which was disappointing, just a bolted band keeping it in place. I think if you have the money to spend freely -- buy a BGE or Primo because I think they are built better, have better warranties and are spec'd to go to a higher temperature. Don't know what to say about the band, though, that's still poor design in my opinion, I think that heavy lid needs a track for the band, it should never be bolted to a flush surface with no other mechanical back up. If price is an issue and you want to get something that will cook well and definitely never ever slide out of the band buy a Vision (or other/cheaper brand talked about above -- I'm just not familiar with them). I have made the most amazing food in my Vision the last 2 and a half months which has given me a lot of joy, I'm glad I didn't wait years and years to save up for a Primo or BGE. The COS I used before was really hard work and inefficient charcoal-wise compared to the efficient smoking dream my Vision is. I'm going on 50 so a lifetime warranty (BGE for example) is not as important as it might have been in my twenties. I don't remember the Vision warranty length now but I do remember it's not a lifetime warranty -- could be 15 or 20 years.

Last year I had my heart set on a BGE, then a Primo XL. Less than a year ago one of our members posted a thread where his BGE lid slid out of the band and crashed to the ground just days after it was tightened and I have to say I still think I hear it crashing to the ground again whenever I think of it.

It was replaced for free but still -- he had to go through the first shock/wonder/worry, making a phone call to enquire and more worry and waiting to hear if he was covered by warranty. The lid was replaced for free but still he couldn't cook on until he received it and must experience residual trauma every time he picks the lid up.

I also didn't like that BGEs are never allowed to go on sale -- what's that about? [It's called price fixing, and supporting your retailers] Just because you are the best or one of the best doesn't mean you have to be a snob.

I've seen a Primo XL on sale. I looked around online and decided I liked and wanted Primo XL instead. The thing is, when I looked at them at the store I was hard pressed to figure out why they cost $1200 with no cart or accessories. Found a Vision Kamado at Canadian Tire last May ON SALE $100 off -- for $699 I got a kamado, cart, smoking/pizza stone and two-tiered grill.

I really loved it at the beginning but over time I'm seeing things I wish were better quality -- like the lining up of the attached swinging tables (one side has to be bent to be able to swing up), some of the paint layer came off in three spots the first week, just the size of a dime but still needs to be repainted.

I don't remember bumping the paint, I was pretty careful with it. The big plus Vision has is that the upper and lower bands are inset into tracks so it's impossible for its lid to slip out like that BGE did. Primo does not have an inset track for the band, either, which was disappointing, just a bolted band keeping it in place.

I think if you have the money to spend freely -- buy a BGE or Primo because I think they are built better, have better warranties and are spec'd to go to a higher temperature. Don't know what to say about the band, though, that's still poor design in my opinion, I think that heavy lid needs a track for the band, it should never be bolted to a flush surface with no other mechanical back up.

If price is an issue and you want to get something that will cook well and definitely never ever slide out of the band buy a Vision (or other/cheaper brand talked about above -- I'm just not familiar with them). I have made the most amazing food in my Vision the last 2 and a half months which has given me a lot of joy, I'm glad I didn't wait years and years to save up for a Primo or BGE.

The COS I used before was really hard work and inefficient charcoal-wise compared to the efficient smoking dream my Vision is. I'm going on 50 so a lifetime warranty (BGE for example) is not as important as it might have been in my twenties. I don't remember the Vision warranty length now but I do remember it's not a lifetime warranty -- could be 15 or 20 years.

My head was spinning, so I fixed it for ya. Along with additional comment.

Got paragraphs?

I priced all the kamados out this spring in search of the best deal. No one in my area actively advertised Grill Dome or KJ, and I did not want to order something unseen. The Primo XL was big and offered some nice differences over the BGE. Of the two dealers that carried Primo, neither had cooked on them and couldn't share much about accessories or options. I know it's good, my cousin has one, but having confidence in the dealer was a deal maker for me. That said, the Primo without stand/cart came in at $1099, with the cheapest cart being another $180. The XL BGE was an even $999, then I threw in the nest, plate setter, and cover for a total $1250. I think they are a wash, but the value with BGE is the ready made accessories and knowledge base.

Just my $.02

Good luck!

Back