The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Tri-Tip, RibEye (Prime), Pulled Pork (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89731)

Desert Dweller 08-03-2010 03:21 PM

Tri-Tip, RibEye (Prime), Pulled Pork

10 Attachment(s)
I don't get it. Tri-Tip, what's the fascination? Nothing special. I got a call for a possible catering gig where the customer requested Tri-Tip. I spoke with a couple of good cooks about this cut of meat and decided to give it a go. I was at costco picking up some brisket and steaks so I grabbed a Tri-Tip. I created a marinade of Beef Broth, Stubbs Original BBQ Sauce, Montreal Steak and Garlic Powder. I marinaded about 20 hours and put it on w/Cherry and Pecan at 240 till it hit 140 internal. I tented it on a rack and in 15 minutes it rose to 147. Thin sliced and in my opinion only marginally better than a Choice Sirloin or London Broil. Any ideas, hints, suggestions?

While at Costco I picked up a pkg. of "prime" RibEyes. Just for some additional flavor I dipped them in the same marinade, sprinkled on some Bovine Bold and tossed them on the grill. Half a chimney of briquettes and some cherry for flavor. After about 10 minutes per side (yes, they were thick) I served up the perfect medium rare steak. Lettuce and tomato got called a salad and dinner was served. My friend Julie enjoyed it, and llittle "Lightfoot" was looking on hungrily.

I also did a butt for PP last week, so I put a pic or two of that in here too. Hope you enjoyed the pron as I did the food. Thx for looking in.

Chef Jim 08-03-2010 03:49 PM

Nice, My butcher explained to me that a Tri-tip is part of the sirloin. That small piece at one end with the fat separating it from the rest of the cut. To get the Tri-Tip they cut it off before they slice the sirloin for steaks. I grilled one awhile back and it was real tasty. Just used my super secret seasoning. (SHHH S&P)

Smoothsmoke 08-03-2010 03:56 PM

The food looks great. That tri-tip looks slightly awkwardly cut, kind of thin. Did you cut with or across the grain? Tri-tip is best grilled not smoked, of course IMO. No marinated needed, salt and pepper, maybe garlic and onion powder and you're good to go with the tri tip. Take it to 135-140 tops, let her rest a few then devour!

Again, your food looks awesome!

zydecopaws 08-03-2010 04:05 PM

IMO, you overdid it with the marinade. I generally don't bother with marinade and do them Santa Maria style with a little salt, pepper, and some sort of garlic-based spice mixture. Then I used a reverse sear (thanks Landarc!) and pull them when they hit about 135°F and let them rest for about 5-10 minutes before carving.

Here's an example:

http://noexcusesbbq.com/wp-content/u...1/IMG_1401.JPG

Hyper 08-03-2010 04:12 PM

Tri Tip is an extremely flavorful piece of meat on it's own. I cringe every time I see somebody marinate it or put rosemary or thyme or whatever on it. Also and as mentioned above, Tri Tip is a grilling meat, not a smoking meat. Lots of black pepper and a nice coating of Lawrys Seasoning Salt and you're good to go. Grill it on med/hi until medium rare/medium and let rest for 10 minutes. Slice and enjoy one of the best pieces of meat you will ever eat!!

J_Don 08-03-2010 04:24 PM

All of it looked mighty fine to me.

Carbon 08-03-2010 04:26 PM

I agree, tri-tips are best done Santa Maria style. Regardless, they all look darn good!

chambersuac 08-03-2010 04:31 PM

I'd hit any/all of that.

dannypat21 08-03-2010 04:49 PM

I have to admit I am not big on tri-tip either. It's just never that tender. Makes me wonder if I am doing it wrong, but I have followed the methods on here. Food looks great tho, especially those rib-eyes.

Ryan Chester 08-03-2010 04:53 PM

First thing I notice is that you cut your tri-tip with the grain not across. I know you get more slices when you cut it with the grain but it comes out much more tender when cut across. Secondly, I would highly recommend (as others did) using some sort of dry rub (Santa Maria Style preferably) so you can get a nice crust. Lastly, try it grilled to 130-140 depending on how you like it and let rest for 10 minutes before cutting. I am positive you will change your mind about the cut.

Here is a review from one of our Brethren who does a lot of tri-tip.
http://thebbqgrail.com/2009/01/04/pr...om-the-rub-co/

Desert Dweller 08-03-2010 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Chester (Post 1357688)
First thing I notice is that you cut your tri-tip with the grain not across.

Well, ya might wanna take another look...
If you look at the two pics of the tip on the grate, you will see the grain runs end to end, not across where I cut it.

Smoothsmoke 08-03-2010 05:25 PM

It looks like across the grain. Try grilling it next time, I'm sure you'll love it.

Ryan Chester 08-03-2010 05:27 PM

My appologies kind sir. Appeared that way on the small screen of my phone. I retract tip #1.:doh:

grillfella 08-03-2010 05:28 PM

Bo, in my opinion tri tip is best cooked over a red oak fire, really gives it a robust smoky flavor

BuckSnort 08-03-2010 05:56 PM

Food looks good... Not trying to argue with you hear but next time cut it across the grain... If you look at the very first pic you posted of it on the grill...You should cut exactly how the grill slats are...That is 90 deg. to the grain of the meat...

I cook tri tips a lot (doing one tonight in fact..lol) and I like them better with a simple rub of garlic salt season salt and LOTS of pepper...Grilled until med rare...