The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   BBQ Sauce Suggestions (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145666)

ItsMike 10-09-2012 07:18 AM

BBQ Sauce Suggestions

Hello all,

So a little back story, I was almost 300lbs (Ill save this for another Thread). I started dieting and not I am 248 as of this AM. My diet consists of Meat, Veggies, and tons of water.. A few limitations are White Four and Sugar..

So with that said, does anyone know of a sauce recipe that uses no sugar (reg and brown)? I have been getting by with using Dry rubs (instead of sugar, I have been using... Coffee and Cinnamon) and the occasion basting with Diet Cream soda.

A good thing about this diet is that I can eat all the meat and veggies that I want! So, the past few months have been a grilling fest at my place.. :)

Lake Dogs 10-09-2012 07:21 AM

Congrats on the weight loss.

Most of your red sauces have at very least a little sugar in them, some having an extremely high sugar content. Some mustard sauces have very little or no sugar, and some vinegar sauces have very little or no sugar. I'd look to those.

PatAttack 10-09-2012 07:29 AM

Try Boshizzle's Shack Attack sauce. It's very good on PP. Matter of fact it's good on anything if you're a vinegar fan!

Lake Dogs 10-09-2012 07:32 AM

Shack Attack BBQ Sauce Recipe Here is a delicious version of an old VA BBQ sauce inspired by a VA BBQ man named Shack. I drink this stuff straight, that's how good it is. It has no sugar in it, so sweet sauce fans may want to stay away.

1 1/2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup of your favorite hot sauce
1 Tablespoon (TBS) Paprika
1 TBS Black Pepper
1 TBS Kitchen Salt
2 TBS Yellow Mustard (French)

Mix well, let sit for at least 24 to 48 hours before serving for best results. I blend it in my Ninja, that's why it's about 16 ounces total.

ItsMike 10-09-2012 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lake Dogs (Post 2238541)
Shack Attack BBQ Sauce Recipe Here is a delicious version of an old VA BBQ sauce inspired by a VA BBQ man named Shack. I drink this stuff straight, that's how good it is. It has no sugar in it, so sweet sauce fans may want to stay away.

1 1/2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup of your favorite hot sauce
1 Tablespoon (TBS) Paprika
1 TBS Black Pepper
1 TBS Kitchen Salt
2 TBS Yellow Mustard (French)

Mix well, let sit for at least 24 to 48 hours before serving for best results. I blend it in my Ninja, that's why it's about 16 ounces total.

This is awesome!!! I will try it this weekend..

Thanks

deguerre 10-09-2012 08:07 AM

Here's what I make and keep on hand.

6 1/2 cups cider vinegar
1/2 cup cayenne
3 tbs salt
3~4 lemon slices

mix all ingredients in a gallon jug
Shake!
Give it a day for flavors to blend and just shake every time before you use as the cayenne settles out quickly.

Add other spices as you see fit!

Just BS 10-09-2012 08:17 AM

Sounds like you're doing Dr Atkins. Even if you're not, check out their website. They have a recipe section.

You can also substitute Splenda for sugar in most recipes. It'll taste a lil different, but I'm sure it will work for you.

I'd also look for diabetic recipes. Or look for pre made stuff in the speacialty section. I honestly don't know about BBQ sauce, but I do know they make diabetic cough syrup w/o sugar.

Good luck on your search and continued weight loss!

hamiltont 10-09-2012 08:27 AM

Hey Mike, I too have been shedding a few pounds by watching the carbs, drinking at least a gallon of water a day & enjoying lots of BBQ. It really does work! So far I've lost over 30 pounds & I'm still enjoying what I eat. I recently had my Lipids checked & they were awesome. Actually the best I've ever had. I have been using regular BBQ sauce, usually Sweet Baby Ray's. It does have carbs but I cut it with Cider Vinegar and use it sparingly, letting the rub do its job.

Here's a web site I have found to be very helpful when trying to understand the nutritional value of the food I'm eating. http://nutritiondata.self.com/ Cheers, and keep loosing those pounds!!!

ItsMike 10-09-2012 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just BS (Post 2238580)
Sounds like you're doing Dr Atkins. Even if you're not, check out their website. They have a recipe section.

You can also substitute Splenda for sugar in most recipes. It'll taste a lil different, but I'm sure it will work for you.

I'd also look for diabetic recipes. Or look for pre made stuff in the speacialty section. I honestly don't know about BBQ sauce, but I do know they make diabetic cough syrup w/o sugar.

Good luck on your search and continued weight loss!

Similar to the Atkins.. but I give myself a little carbs (30-35g a day). ie.. the other night I had some Rice and tomatoes (Homemade Chicken Paella). The method I follow is called "Keto", its a little more lenient on the rules. If anyone wants more info on it.. shoot me a message and Ill send you a link where I got my Inspiration from.

Just BS 10-09-2012 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ItsMike (Post 2238597)
Similar to the Atkins.. but I give myself a little carbs (30-35g a day). ie.. the other night I had some Rice and tomatoes (Homemade Chicken Paella). The method I follow is called "Keto", its a little more lenient on the rules. If anyone wants more info on it.. shoot me a message and Ill send you a link where I got my Inspiration from.

The "Low Carb Diets" are all pretty simikar. Dr Atkins has to the most least understood diet out there. It would be almost impossible to eat zero carbs. Even during their 2 week induction phase they reccomend 20 grams of carbs in the form of green veggies.

Regardless, glad its working for you. Let us know what you come up with.....

Enkidu 10-09-2012 11:42 AM

Please remember though, the healthy versions of the various ketogenic diets out there only have no or very low carb for a limited time, typically called an "induction phase" of 2-4 weeks, before reintroducing healthier carbs at moderate levels. If you are on a diet that doesn't let you have healthy fruits, vegetables, and grains on a regular basis after the induction phase, I would reconsider the diet you are on. Some ketogenic diets cycle the amount of carbs you can have on a daily basis (they have no carb days, moderate carb days and high carb days). Some have the carb levels the same from day to day within the week, but increase the amount and type of carbs you are permitted to have every few weeks. By the end, many of these diets have ratios similar to the zone diet (40-30-30), but with Paleo choices for the foods.

markdtn 10-09-2012 11:57 AM

As suggested a vinegar based sauce. I looked at the bottle of Ollies I had last night (from Birmingham Alabama) and it was 15 calories a serving.

Untraceable 10-09-2012 12:14 PM

Most Cyclic Ketogenic Diets have a carb up day each week. McDonalds writings state that any diet under 100g of carbs/ day is in essence ketogenic as the brain ulitilzes roughly 75-100g of glucose per day. To get into deep ketosis, most try to stay below 30g carbs per day. Putting this into reality means even blues hog coated ribs in moderation should have a negligable difference in coming out of ketosis.

ItsMike 10-09-2012 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enkidu (Post 2238794)
Please remember though, the healthy versions of the various ketogenic diets out there only have no or very low carb for a limited time, typically called an "induction phase" of 2-4 weeks, before reintroducing healthier carbs at moderate levels. If you are on a diet that doesn't let you have healthy fruits, vegetables, and grains on a regular basis after the induction phase, I would reconsider the diet you are on. Some ketogenic diets cycle the amount of carbs you can have on a daily basis (they have no carb days, moderate carb days and high carb days). Some have the carb levels the same from day to day within the week, but increase the amount and type of carbs you are permitted to have every few weeks. By the end, many of these diets have ratios similar to the zone diet (40-30-30), but with Paleo choices for the foods.

Indeed..

I have been introducing small amounts as I go..

I started with 10-15g a day when I first started.. Now I am up to 30-35g a day.. Then there are days when I know I go over my allotted amount. In the end, it all balances out.

mytmouz 10-09-2012 12:43 PM

If you are doing portion control as far as the proteins, any sauce you use will add very little in the way of calories/sugars if you follow the recommendations. I did the same as you to start (260lbs so far) and found myself eating to much of the stuff I I could eat (and didn;t want) by depriving myslef of the flavor I craved. Moderation is the key to any diet. A brush will coat a piece of chicken with a tsp of sauce pretty well...