Practice with Wagyu First?

do0d

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm confident with my choice briskets and was considering grabbing a wagyu for a comp, but after reading this:

http://www.paradisemeats.com/blog/wagyu-briskets

I'm now worried its too different and I should do some practice with it first. Just wanted to get some thoughts from people with experience with them.

Hmmm...

From the link that you posted...

2. You will not finish the wagyu at the same temperature that you do the standard briskets. For home cooking, we recommend pulling the wagyu somewhere between 150 and 160 degrees internal temperature, wrapping and letting it rest for half to a full hour before slicing. For competition cooking, we recommend pulling the brisket between 170 and 180 degrees internal temperature and follow the same resting procedure as above. The extra ten to twenty degrees will give you a little additional breakdown and allow the slice to pass the judges "pull test". The fat content on the wagyu has a lower melting temperature than other beef so taking these to 190-200 degrees will actually cook out all of the fat and you will not get the rich, elegant taste that wagyu is known for.

I added the bold. This just down't sound right to me. 150 - 180? Seems low to me. I've talked to a couple of very successful comp cooks who cook Wagyu and they tell me that they didn't change their process when they switched to Wagyu. They cook by feel but they told me that the finish temp is typically in the 195-200 range.

I would practice no matter what the processer says since your temp and cooking style are going to be unique anyways. I know it's expensive, but tanking on one at a comp because you didn't do a practice cook is more expensive.

I cooked our first Waygu at a comp.
I have always cooked two briskets, so I did one CAB choice like I normally cook and one Aussie Wagyu (MS 6 or so).
They finished up at roughly the same time to probe tender. Don't remember or pay attention to finish temps other than curiosity.

Turned the Waygu in for a first place call in a field of strong Brisket cooks. 8)
Brisket was always one of our best categories, and the Waygu was a pleasant addition.

Since Briskets and Butts should be finished and in the cooler several hours early, the exact time it finishes for you should not be of too much concern. There is a huge "time window" that works just fine if you cooler.

I can not imagine Waygu being "done" at the lower temps stated.
But, what do I know :redface:

Great Eats!

TIM

Alright...thanks guys I feel better already. I'll keep an eye on further replies, but I'm going to dive in with some practice and keep this moving. :clap2:

Same injection, rub, etc too? That link mentions a different flavor profile as well was another concern I had.

I have never seen a brisket done between 150 - 160. Last wagyu brisket I cooked was pulled at 212 degrees.

I have never seen a brisket done between 150 - 160. Last wagyu brisket I cooked was pulled at 212 degrees.

I have - I did a Wagyu for a party and had to pull it at 160 in order to drive to the party. Granted it sat in a cambro for 3 hours but it wasn't tough when we sliced it.

I live about 5 minutes from Paradise...yeah it's that great here in the KC area. :grin:

I've talked to them about this recommendation and I don't buy it. Cook it like any other piece of meat. It will probe different from the beginning as it's a totally different texture of meat, but you'll want to take it to normal temp and, as stated, the probe you want.

Personally, we suck at brisket and we don't cook Wagyu. Our scores haven't improved with Wagyu, but understand that there are several who have succeeded with it.

Throw those instructions in the trash. I followed them the first time I cooked a Wagyu and it was undercooked.

Only wagyu I have ever eaten was pulled at 200 for what that's worth and it was like a beef marshmallow.

AWE-SOME!!!!!!

I can't see how it could be anywhere near as good 40 degrees of meat temp below that. LOTS of good things happening in those big cuts between 160 and being done that I would hate to miss out on.

Wagyu is a different beast than most briskets. I would not recommending practicing with one unless you have a good grasp on the brisket category as a whole. Wagyu is an expensive practice unless you have money to burn. In my experience it will cook quicker than CAB.

Also the temp recommendations in that link are WAY off. I've never had a wagyu done to my liking before 200*.

We cooked our first Waygu this weekend along with a CAB just to be safe. Both were the same size and the Waygu took an hour longer to cook :confused: and the temp was in the 195 range. We took first with it so we did something right :-D

Practice with Wagyu for sure if you are going to use it in comp. Cook time is a little different, but not huge. Those temps are wrong, you will go as high, if not higher than a CAB.

Thanks a ton for all the great info guys as always!! Got some practice on the way! :clap:

Back