The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What's good to throw in my new deep fryer? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13519)

dapittboss 09-17-2005 09:47 AM

What's good to throw in my new deep fryer?

I just picked up a deep fryer. Man I've always wanted one of these things. I'm going through the kitchen finding all kinds of stuff to toss in there. It seems that almost any food can be improved by deep frying. I love the fried buritos, and onion rings, shrimp, fast food style hash browns, biscuit dough doughnuts, etc...

So, anyone have any ideas for me?

rbinms33 09-17-2005 10:03 AM

Corn on the cob (battered or not) and battered dill slices are two of my faves.

Ron_L 09-17-2005 10:07 AM

Twinkies? Snickers bars? Corn dogs?

Do you like crab rangoons (like at the chinese restaurant)? they are easy to make. Buy a pack of wonton skins, some cream cheese and a can of crab meat. Mix the cfream cheese, crab meat and some seasoning (a little worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, pepper). Deep fry and enjoy! Here's the actual recipe that we use...

Crab Rangoon Recipe

Yield: 44 - 48

Filling:
8 ounces cream cheese
8 ounces fresh crab meat or canned crab meat, drained and flaked
1/2 teaspoon Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon light soy sauce
1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper, to taste
1 - 1 1/2 green onions, finely sliced
1 large clove garlic, finely minced
1 teaspoon red onion, chopped

1 package wonton wrappers
1 small bowl filled with water for wetting wontons
Oil for deep-frying

Directions:
Combine the crab and the cream cheese. Mix in the remaining filling ingredients one at a time.

On a flat surface, lay out a wonton wrapper in front of you so that it forms a diamond shape. Wet the edges of the wonton.

Add a heaping teaspoon of filling to the middle, and spread it out toward the left and right points of the diamond so that it forms a log or rectangular shape (otherwise the wrapper may break in the middle during deep-frying).

Fold over the edges of the wrapper so that it forms a triangle shape. Seal the edges, adding more water if needed.

Cover the completed Crab Rangoon with a damp towel to prevent them from drying out while preparing the rest.

Heat wok and add oil for deep-frying. When oil is ready (the temperature should be between 360 - 375 degrees), carefully slide in the Crab Rangoon, taking care not to overcrowd the wok. Deep-fry until they are golden brown, about 3 minutes, turning once. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Cool and serve.
(To make ahead of time, prepare the filling and stuff the wontons and freeze without deep-frying. When ready to cook, thaw before deep-frying.)

BrooklynQ 09-17-2005 10:29 AM

Ice cream.

make balls of ice cream.
Freeze till really hard
get a pack of tempura batter.
dip ballls of ice cream in batter
fry till batter is just done

BBQchef33 09-17-2005 10:33 AM

neighbors kid that keeps freaking out my dogs...

or .......

WING DINGS.... or the spicey ones are WING ZINGS.

The best chciken wings your'll ever have... if ya cant find them local, u can by'em on the net. Farkin Awesome.... ask bill we had em at 3am at the bash when everyone went to sleep. :)

brdbbq 09-17-2005 10:53 AM

[QUOTE=Ron_L]Twinkies? Snickers bars? Corn dogs?

Crab Rangoon Recipe

QUOTE]

You just made me a Hero at my house

fivelombardis 09-17-2005 11:25 AM

this is a VERY simple recipe...takes about 2 years off the end of your lifespan...but it always turns out real good!! ha ha ha

Get yourself a pork butt and cut it into about 2" cubes (maybe a little bigger), and spice the crap outta em with your favorite cajun spice. get the oil (preferably pork fat/lard) to about 350-375. drop the pieces of meat into the oil and let them fry. once they get to a beautiful color AND start to semi-float, they're done. eat them with your favorite hot sauce in a tortilla.

icemn62 09-17-2005 12:04 PM

Heart is pounding hard just reading that recipe. I know you did the obvious, French Fries! ! ! God how I love a good french fry. Maybe I should tell the wife I want to take her out to dinner, so we can get some alone time. WAIT, USC plays tonight at 7:00pm. can not take a chance of missing that game, I think I will just ask her to make burgers and fries instead.

Aeynghus 09-17-2005 01:14 PM

Cheese.

Samichlaus 09-17-2005 01:22 PM

Dredge some pork chops in Lay's salt & vinegar potato chips, (dip 'em in seasoned flour, then a beaten egg, then the roughly crushed chips.

Home-made corn dogs come out great too.

chad 09-17-2005 02:08 PM

Depending on the size - fryers make good "boilers" too.

Shrimp, potatoes, corn, and onion with a little Old Bay or your favorite "boil" seasoning come out great. Last time I did a "shrimp boil" I threw in some crap legs (thanks for the idea Tim!) and used a dolop or two of Franks to spice things up a bit more.

BBQ_MAFIA 09-17-2005 02:40 PM

Calamari Fritti ( Fried Squid )
Arancini Di Riso ( Italian fried rice balls)

Almost everyone has eaten Calamari and when cooked correctly they are outstanding.

Arancini are basically stuffed deep fried Risotto balls. These are a true treat.

Enjoy!
Guido

Bigmista 09-17-2005 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBQ_MAFIA
Calamari Fritti ( Fried Squid )
Arancini Di Riso ( Italian fried rice balls)

Almost everyone has eaten Calamari and when cooked correctly they are outstanding.

Arancini are basically stuffed deep fried Risotto balls. These are a true treat.

Enjoy!
Guido

I had fried calamari and zucchini at Louise's trattoria last night. Also had a Kobe beef burger.

Great meal.

Ron_L 09-17-2005 06:30 PM

[QUOTE=brdbbq]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron_L
Twinkies? Snickers bars? Corn dogs?

Crab Rangoon Recipe

QUOTE]

You just made me a Hero at my house

Glad to be of service... Let me know how they like 'em...

racer_81 09-17-2005 06:43 PM

Vegetarians.

willkat98 has a recipe somewhere for Fried Vegetarians.

As I recall, the toes are extra crispy.