The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Need A New Stock Pot (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27885)

Q Harley 06-04-2007 09:17 PM

Need A New Stock Pot

Have a large cook coming up and I will have to make a large pot of dipping sauce. Just found out that I do not have a pot large enough.

Need some input on a stock pot, about 16 to 20 quart, that will not interact with the tomato and vinager from the sauce.

Any help will be appreciated

Harry
Q Harley

qman 06-04-2007 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Q Harley (Post 406155)
Have a large cook coming up and I will have to make a large pot of dipping sauce. Just found out that I do not have a pot large enough.

Need some input on a stock pot, about 16 to 20 quart, that will not interact with the tomato and vinager from the sauce.

Any help will be appreciated

Harry
Q Harley

Got to be stainless steel. Any resturant supply place close to you should have something fairly cheep in that size.

ZBQ 06-04-2007 09:37 PM

This is the one I have and love it, but when I bought it, the price was only $70!!:eek:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/cus...#RBIBQ8PQ0C6AX

bbqbull 06-04-2007 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qman (Post 406172)
Got to be stainless steel. Any resturant supply place close to you should have something fairly cheep in that size.

Yeppers......I also would reccomend it be stainless steel as the acids in the tomatoes and vinegar will react with aluminum or cast iron as well. Will give you a very nasty taste.

I bought some s/s pots and pans w/the very thick/heavy bottoms.
The cheapo versions of s/s pots have very thin bottoms. Heck ya cant even reheat a pot of chili without burning things on the bottom of the pan. Thats even constantly stirring.

Good luck on finding a pot that works for you.

Kevin 06-05-2007 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbqbull (Post 406203)
Yeppers......I also would reccomend it be stainless steel as the acids in the tomatoes and vinegar will react with aluminum or cast iron as well. Will give you a very nasty taste.

I bought some s/s pots and pans w/the very thick/heavy bottoms.
The cheapo versions of s/s pots have very thin bottoms. Heck ya cant even reheat a pot of chili without burning things on the bottom of the pan. Thats even constantly stirring.

Good luck on finding a pot that works for you.

Agree. My thin ones don't get used anymore since I found some thick bottom pots.

coachop94 06-05-2007 05:25 AM

http://www.hsn.com/cnt/prod/default.aspx?webp_id=1305379&web_id=1305379&sf=qc& dept=qc0001&cat=qc0007&attr=550&prev=hp!sf!dept!55 0!cat Don't know if I did that right copy and link in address bar these are nice stockpots price not bad either

chinesebob 06-05-2007 07:04 AM

If you want restaurant quality on the cheap - hit GFS. They have it all and they are usually pretty cheap.

BBQ_MAFIA 06-05-2007 12:04 PM

Stainless is the way to go.

Q Harley 06-05-2007 09:59 PM

Thanks everyone that replied to my post. It looks like I have settled for the AL CLAD, 24 quart stock pot. I like the way it is built, the way the handles are attached to the kettle. and the fact that they are using the new aluminum wedge on the bottom for even heat.

This is about double the budget that I have set for myself, but I always say, buy only once. This has worked for me for thirtyfive years of buying tools and toys

Harry

bbqbull 06-06-2007 09:00 AM

My heavy bottomed pot is from the Wolfgang Puck set that I purchased at Sams Club a few years back. Love that thing.

Brauma 06-06-2007 09:30 AM

Way to go Harry. Yes, that thick aluminum plate on the bottom is terrific. Once the pot comes up to speed, it holds the heat & temp better. It also distributes heat better.

Ive got a 20 qt that I used to brew beer with. Private Stock I think.

Bill-Chicago 06-06-2007 09:49 AM

I use a 55 gallon drum I had laying around

backyardchef 06-06-2007 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willkat98 (Post 406942)
I use a 55 gallon drum I had laying around

Crafty! It's amazing what can be done with one of those. If I could find a clean one, I think it would be cool to cut it and turn it into some kind of a vertical smoker. I've been looking for info on the conversion, but there isn't much out there about it.....hmmmm....:sad:

Never even thought about using it for a stock pot......

Bill-Chicago 06-06-2007 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by backyardchef (Post 407115)
Never even thought about using it for a stock pot......

Yeah, I tend to go overboard, ALOT, and then freeze what I don't use.

I've dehydrated 40 gallons of stock at a time and have had enough beef boullion powder to last all summer.

Goes great on Cheerio's

Makes the milk a little funky though

backyardchef 06-06-2007 02:05 PM

I'm gonna have try this out in my trash can this weekend....from Yankee Magazine....

Garbage Can Clambake

You don't have to live on the coast to enjoy a good old-fashioned New England clambake. All you need is a garbage can.

The ultimate in "garbage can" clambakes, for those with a Paul Bunyan appetite, is lobster, sweet and/or Irish potatoes, hot dogs, eggs, corn on the cob, and clams.

In the bottom of the can put a limited amount of water depending on the amount of food and seaweed to be added above, usually 2 to 3 inches. Add 1 cup vinegar and several tablespoons of salt.

Next, place a 2-inch cake rack in the can, covered well with seaweed. This keeps the lobsters out of the water. Place the can over a robust fire to bring the water to a boil. Put the lobsters in, back side up, then alternate thin layers of seaweed with potatoes, hot dogs, eggs, corn, and finally clams. Cover tightly.

(The potatoes, hot dogs, eggs, and corn can be wrapped loosely in cheesecloth to make them easier to remove after cooking.) You can also use a wire basket made for the clams, which gives them freedom to open and lets you see more readily when they are open, which is your signal that the bake is done.

Cooking time varies, depending on the amount of food and seaweed, from 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until the clams open. Never pack the can so tightly with food and seaweed that you prevent the steam from permeating all layers. Be sure to maintain a healthy fire.
Comments

Note: As seaweed is not too easy to come by, the bake can be done with only the bottom layer.

http://www.yankeemagazine.com/recipe...php?number=626