Looking for suggestions for this weekend

B

bertkemtncurs

I think I've porked out the family with ribs, butt, and loin the past weekends. I want to smoke something different this weekend, I'm thinking beef. I'd love to try a brisket, but I can't find any here, except corned. I don't know if that would work (doubt it). Any suggestions on a good cut of beef to smoke, or a place to buy brisket in central OH? :?:

Thanks!

Bottom round, clod (shoulder) roast, Prime Rib, Short ribs

I think I've porked out the family with ribs, butt, and loin the past weekends. I want to smoke something different this weekend, I'm thinking beef. I'd love to try a brisket, but I can't find any here, except corned. I don't know if that would work (doubt it). Any suggestions on a good cut of beef to smoke, or a place to buy brisket in central OH? :?:

Thanks!

man, there has to be a place to find a whole brisket in central Ohio. Have you really look at a butcher or meat market or just the local grocery store? Heck even here in KC our markets only carry packer flats. You have to find a good market to get a whole one but there's lots.

Chuck roast is a good beef smoke.
I'll second that. Easy, relatively inexpensive, good stuff. I smoke a 3.5 lb'er for 5 or 6 hrs, wrap in foil and cook until tender, another 2 or 3 hours. Then I pull, sauce and serve on a grilled onion roll. Cole slaw is optional. Don't worry about the finish internal temp, time's more important with chuckies.

Got to be a Chuck roast. Cook it just like a pork butt, can't go wrong. Delicious.

If you have not done much beef low and slow, the chusck roast is the best way to go--more forgiving than a brisket, great flavor.
my 2 cents.

I'll second that. Easy, relatively inexpensive, good stuff. I smoke a 3.5 lb'er for 5 or 6 hrs, wrap in foil and cook until tender, another 2 or 3 hours. Then I pull, sauce and serve on a grilled onion roll. Cole slaw is optional. Don't worry about the finish internal temp, time's more important with chuckies.
Right, but be sure to check tenderness with a probe or fork-Time, just like internal temp, is a guide, not a rule. The true measure is how the probe goes in and out. You are looking for no resistance, or very little, just like a pork butt when is is "pullable".

Thanks guys, looks like I'll be chuck'in it! Any tips on size?

Gents - I think a smoked corned beef is a great way to go. We served a TON of it on St. Patty's Day. I think they might really like a smoked corned beef brisket.

Or, go to the Sam's Club in Ontario, OH and ask them to give you a great packer or one of their pseudo-flats... :icon_devil

Smoked corned beef makes a great pastrami - soak in water for a couple days changing the water a couple times a days. dry, rub with 5:1 ratio of ground black pepper, garlic powder, and ground corriander. smoke at 250

Any tips on size?
Chuckies are usually 3 to 4 lbs in these parts. They work well wuth the method I described.

I think a smoked corned beef is a great way to go...
That's a good idea too. I have a couple in the freezer right now waiting for me to make some time for home made "pastrami."

Edit: Hey, I figgered out the multi - quote on my first try. Not bad for a dumb mech engr.

How about a meatloaf. Very tasty when done right. and it looks so cool to put a meaztloaf on the table and tell people it was BBQ'd.

Gotten to the point that is the only way we have had a meatloaf in about a year now.

Yeah Meatloaf.

With garlic mashed potatoes and gravy, yeah Baby!

IMG_0327.jpg

I would second any of the suggestions so far, but I would add one... A top sirloin roast. I found a prime 8.5 pound one at Sams a month or so ago. I rubbed it with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Smoked at 250 until the internal was 135. I let it rest about a half hour in the cooler.

It was amazing... a great medium rare from end to end. We had a bunch of people over and it got devoured!!!

How about a meatloaf. Very tasty when done right. and it looks so cool to put a meaztloaf on the table and tell people it was BBQ'd.

Gotten to the point that is the only way we have had a meatloaf in about a year now.

I have had great results smoking a meat loaf. Great idea!

Now if you want to something easy, and have a snack while you are waiting for the roast to finish, pick up a package of Johnsonville raw bratworst. Nice change of pace from a fatty. Also if you like it hot, try some of their hot Italian sausage. They only take an hour or so in the smoker. Pull before they split for maximum juicyness.

Last edited:
Back