The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   HDD and The Rub Co's Hot Wing Rub (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123044)

Cack 12-28-2011 09:10 AM

HDD and The Rub Co's Hot Wing Rub

I'm doing HOT wings for South Carolina's bowl game at the house for my friends. I haven't even tried either, but what's a sauce that I could marinate these in to make them even HOTTER.

I didn't want to make them Man vs. Food hot, but would like to have a few on the side with an extra ... kick in the balls. :boxing:

deguerre 12-28-2011 09:17 AM

Use the HDD with EVOO in equal parts and marinate for as long as you can (We do three days) as the fat will carry the flavors into the meat. Bliss I tells ya. I haven't used the Rub Co. Wing Rub yet, but it's flavor profile isn't about the heat so much as it's sharp tang on the initial flavor burst, then the spice kicks in very pleasantly. They're both outstanding but quite different.

boogiesnap 12-28-2011 09:18 AM

i wouldn't marinade hem in another hot sauce IMHO. it'll just fark up the existing flavors.

i'd suggest if you want them hotter, coat with extra rub and let sit for longer. then dust liberally with more a little bit before cook time.

just my 2 cents.

Cack 12-28-2011 09:20 AM

Thanks guys ... I'll look for some EVOO

southernstyle 12-28-2011 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boogiesnap (Post 1894590)
i wouldn't marinade hem in another hot sauce IMHO. it'll just fark up the existing flavors.

i'd suggest if you want them hotter, coat with extra rub and let sit for longer. then dust liberally with more a little bit before cook time.

just my 2 cents.

+1 :thumb:

deguerre 12-28-2011 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boogiesnap (Post 1894590)

just my 2 cents.

Yep, that's what we do. When the wings are ready to go on the grill, they get another dusting with the HDD. That's all they need. MY needs, however, tend to run with a good blue cheese dipping sauce to keep from setting myself on fire. Redhot usually laughs at that.:roll:

Cack 12-28-2011 09:53 AM

Gf says we have plenty of Evoo ... so just mix them together and rub as normal?

deguerre 12-28-2011 09:58 AM

Yep. For a family pack of wings (+/- a couple dozen) We do 1/4 cup EVOO and 1/4 cup HDD. We do our wings in a 1 gallon storage bag in the fridge. Add the EVOO first then gradually add the HDD, sloshing the bag periodically while adding to get a good even coat. Get as much air out of the bag as you can before refrigeration and turn periodically. After they've marinated, give them another dusting of the rub before grilling.

deguerre 12-28-2011 10:01 AM

Forgot to add we cut off the wing tips but leave them intact otherwise.

BBQ PD 12-28-2011 10:02 AM

Mix some Dave's Insanity Sauce with EVOO, rub it on the wings (use latex glove), then sprinkle with the rub. You'll have the heat you're looking for, and maybe then some :becky:.

Randbo 12-28-2011 10:05 AM

HDD is all the hot you will need.

Groundhog66 12-28-2011 10:11 AM

Just add some HDD to the Rub Co Hot Wing Rub, it doesn't need to get confusing. I wouldn't overpower it with HDD though, you may end up losing some of the great flavor the Rub Co brings to the table.

Cack 12-28-2011 10:21 AM

Thanks everybody. I've been dying to try it since it came in ... I have a feeling I'm going to die after I do

posey's_pork_pit 12-28-2011 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBQ PD (Post 1894620)
Mix some Dave's Insanity Sauce with EVOO, rub it on the wings (use latex glove), then sprinkle with the rub. You'll have the heat you're looking for, and maybe then some :becky:.

Dave, are you trying to kill the guy?:confused:

Watch that Dave's Insanity Sauce ~ I put a knife tip worth into a large pot of chilli and ruined it! And I like it hot; just sayin'. :shock:

tasterner 12-28-2011 11:17 AM

Here's what I do, and they turn out awesome every time!

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=116783