BBQ is the only thing I like about snow days...

Twisted Belly

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I've been plowing all day waiting to get home to put the pork butt on.
Just going with low pit temps tonight, we're going to have wind chills in the -30's (actual temp 0 to -10), so just trying to conserve the charcoal to get through the night. I'm looking forward to seeing how it holds up in these temps.

Last edited:
I went through a whole bag of lump doing a pork butt a few weeks ago when it was a hair above zero. Hope you've got plenty of coal around! :p

I went through a whole bag of lump doing a pork butt a few weeks ago when it was a hair above zero. Hope you've got plenty of coal around! :p

Yeah I did a cook on Thanksgiving where it was cold (~40's I think) and real windy. Even using KBB over lump I went through my fuel at least twice as fast as I would have otherwise.

I had my guru in the garage (ran the cords under the door), but it couldnt keep up with the temps... So I had to go ahead and move it next to a window and keep the controller inside, which helped a lot.
But the high wasn't much better than what the thermapen was reading.

Last edited:
Ran the mini today @ 350 ....could have been hotter and it was 51 below zero at the time. i have insulation around it though. It ran charcoal like summertime.

Finally after 20+ hours, it finished.

The temp held throughout the whole cook, but it was so cold outside that there were icicles forming on the exhaust from the moisture inside.

(The yellowish dots are from the vinegar mop i used)

Last edited:
Back