The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   WSM and Water Heater Blanket (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151123)

Cast Iron Chef 01-08-2013 05:04 PM

WSM and Water Heater Blanket

Those that use a blanket with their WSM's. Does that require an IQUE or similar to maintain airflow? Do you just wrap the center section so you don't cut off the airflow?

Cayman1 01-08-2013 06:11 PM

Just the center section is all I cover plus a few inches of lid. I use an old army blanket. Cut in half, it is perfect to do two 22's.

motoeric 01-08-2013 06:47 PM

How effective is the water heater blanket or army blanket?

Where would you purchase one?

Thanks!

Eric

Ron_L 01-08-2013 06:52 PM

You can get a water heater blanket at any hardware or home improvement store.

I used one once. It was enough of a pain in the backside that I stopped using it. Blocking the wind is essential in the winter, so I just use something like an old cardboard box as a wind block (not touching the WSM, of course).

RangerJ 01-08-2013 06:56 PM

^^^^ This.

Same applies to UDS, wind wreaks havoc on all my upright cookers. A windbreak , either cardboard box or sides of the ez up rights the ship.

rib runners 01-09-2013 04:18 AM

I use an 40 year old sleeping bag to wrap 3/4's around. Not using it to sleep in any more.:razz:

Ron

tnjimbob 01-09-2013 08:50 AM

I use a 6' folding table, opened to 90° and a half sheet of plywood on the other side, braced with a couple of cinder blocks. This makes a U shape around my WSM, and gives about a 3" gap on all three sides. This has worked like a champ for years when it's cold & windy outside.

Cayman1 01-09-2013 08:51 AM

Garage sale for army blanket. Works great.

Cut mine in half, fitted it on the smokey and held it in place with spring clips from the office, then the wife sewed it. Slips on and off great. Basically just sew the top, leave the seam in front open and you can then get into door if you need to.

Alexa RnQ 01-09-2013 08:53 AM

We've long used insulation from the hardware store that comes in rolls and is basically mylar-coated bubblewrap. Cheap, lightweight, easy to trim into a cylindrical jacket that's just enough to keep the wind off (don't wrap it tight enough to touch).

Cast Iron Chef 01-09-2013 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DivaHerself (Post 2322438)
We've long used insulation from the hardware store that comes in rolls and is basically mylar-coated bubblewrap. Cheap, lightweight, easy to trim into a cylindrical jacket that's just enough to keep the wind off (don't wrap it tight enough to touch).

Thanks Diva I've seen you guys do that. Still enough air flow with the cover all around?

Alexa RnQ 01-09-2013 09:31 AM

It's nowhere near airtight. Since it stands up as a cylinder, you've got free space top and bottom that should be plenty. You need to leave at least an inch clearance all around so you don't get touching/melting, although the material does bronze a bit in color on the inside. Also easy to cut a hatch/flap at the bottom if your first cook or two don't give you the results you want.