BBq pit build

Brian in So Cal

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
okay I think it is time. I can't seem to find exactly what I want in a pit. So here I go.

Does anyone have plans or know where to get for example a large propane tank so I can make the horizontal part of the pit. I am good at welding and building but with no plans to follow I am lost. My goal is to make something like the Klose Family reunion or something like it. I there a reason I can't make the horizontal a square pit instead of the round one?

Thanks,
Brian

Be safe.

But please turn the video camera on when you cut it. Just in case...

When we built our pits we just decided what we wanted and researched that pit as much as we could. then we decided to make improvements if possible and started Fabricating. Cant tell you haow many times I heard the words ITS JUST SHEETMETAL.

Just have fun!

Does anyone have plans or know where to get for example a large propane tank so I can make the horizontal part of the pit.
I used a porta-band to saw off fittings as to not cause sparks, then used plenty of compressed air to expel any lingering vapors.

Be safe.

But please turn the video camera on when you cut it. Just in case...

Funny chit...

Video Camera...check
First Aid Kit......check
Safety Observer (with charged cell phone)....check
Life Insurance..check
Updated Will leaving everything to Bashie and Grillman40..CHECK!! CHECK!!

ok dude...commence to cuttin!!

Hey...do this after the Wishland event please. Gonna need your help that day :biggrin:

Funny chit...

Video Camera...check
First Aid Kit......check
Safety Observer (with charged cell phone)....check
Life Insurance..check
Updated Will leaving everything to Bashie and Grillman40..CHECK!! CHECK!!

ok dude...commence to cuttin!!

Hey...do this after the Wishland event please. Gonna need your help that day :biggrin:

That is funny. See you at Wishland.

I had a guy tell me just today that when he cuts propane tanks ( assuming this meant more than a couple ) , he hooks a hose from the exhaust on his car to the tank and lets it run for an hour or so. The carbonmonoxide supposedly breaks down the gases somehow in the tank, making it safe to cut.

I don't know if it works or not but the guy has all his limbs intact.

Last edited:
My #100 tank smoke chamber was "safety tested" The guy who gave it to me set it out in the middle of a field and took a shot dead center at it with his 30-06. Alas it didnt blow up and thus was the beginning of my disaster.

The small tank I used as a fire box was intact, I was able to remove the guard around the valve by grinding 2 of the 3 welds and then twisting it off. I strapped the tank down to a post and went at the brass ( no spark) valve with a large pipe wrench, twisting the valve off ( right hand thread). It came off pretty easy once the sealant was broken loose. I filled it with water for a day or so before cutting. I had a guy tell me to use Dried ice, but that didnt make any damn sense hacking the ice up to go down in to that 1" hole.

My #100 tank smoke chamber was "safety tested" The guy who gave it to me set it out in the middle of a field and took a shot dead center at it with his 30-06. Alas it didnt blow up and thus was the beginning of my disaster.

UM UM doing some desert experiments I found that the tank will only blow if you use metal jacket bullets. (I just heard this from someone though):roll::eusa_clap :grin:

I have found (I mean heard):wink: That you can duct tape a flair to the tank and then light the flare and shoot the tank. Any gas inside will burn off.:-D

Back