The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   PBC vs WSM (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151654)

Trumpstylz 01-16-2013 05:08 PM

PBC vs WSM

About ready to pull the trigger, and I can get them for close to the same price. I know the WSM is fairly idiotproof, but I really like the set it and forget it aspect of the pbc. I know the wsm has a much better warranty and will last longer, but a lot of times i don't have the time or patience to mess around with all the variables (except maybe 1 day a week). I will probably end up getting both somewhere down the line, but the pbc is 100 off til supposedly the end of january.

I also am still wondering why the marketing for pbc does not refer to it as a smoker.

What are your thoughts?

rwalters 01-16-2013 05:25 PM

Well, I have owned the 18.5" WSM, the 22.5" WSM and now the PBC. Used the WSM's for years before selling, and they are awesome!! With that said though, I have not missed my WSM's for even one second since picking up my PBC. The thing blows me away!!!

Nate749 01-16-2013 06:26 PM

New guy here.. BUt I have 3 weber 22.5 and an akorn kamado modified by looking what Mr. Setzler has done to his and others on his forum. I just recently got my PBC and cooked on it 8-9 times and I am totally impressed with this unit. It really is set it up add charcoal ignite it per instructions return in 20 minutes to add meat and walk away.. i mean walk away, impressive unit and I will be doing a full write up in the next few days.. I love this PBC!!

Smoothsmoke 01-16-2013 06:28 PM

wsm.

rwalters 01-16-2013 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate749 (Post 2331011)
New guy here.. BUt I have 3 weber 22.5 and an akorn kamado modified by looking what Mr. Setzler has done to his and others on his forum. I just recently got my PBC and cooked on it 8-9 times and I am totally impressed with this unit. It really is set it up add charcoal ignite it per instructions return in 20 minutes to add meat and walk away.. i mean walk away, impressive unit and I will be doing a full write up in the next few days.. I love this PBC!!

Amazing, aren't they?? Can't wait to see your full review!! :)

gettinbasted 01-16-2013 06:30 PM

I bought a pbc to see what all the fuss is about. I have only cooked on it once.

I brined and rubbed some chicken halves and hung them up to cook. I put a probe in the breast and in the pit. I noticed that it ran hot, but this worked out great for me because I like cooking my chicken hot. I pulled the chicken when the probe hit 160, glazed, and hung again for a couple of minutes to set the glaze. It took about an hour and fifteen minutes.

The chicken was perfect. One of the best I have made. Other than running hot, it worked pretty much as advertised. Plus the air intake is adjustable so I could dial it back if desired. I also didn't use Kingsford as directed, so that could have made it burn hotter as well

I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Boudreaux 01-16-2013 06:33 PM

Please..... What's a PBC .....???

Nate749 01-16-2013 06:36 PM

Pit Barrel Cooker.. Hot? mine runs around 280-290 witch is fine for me.. I'm over the low and sloooow

And honestly.. yes flat out amazing

gettinbasted 01-16-2013 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate749 (Post 2331027)
Pit Barrel Cooker.. Hot? mine runs around 280-290 witch is fine for me.. I'm over the low and sloooow

Mine was at 350 plus. I used royal oak chef select briquettes so that may have caused the discrepancy. I plan on using it for my competition chicken so I will probably leave it alone.

ToddM 01-16-2013 07:31 PM

No experience with a PCB but I can't imagine an easier cooker to run than my WSM. It's as close to set and forget as it gets without being hooked up to a gas line and sitting in my kitchen.

Freddy j 01-16-2013 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate749 (Post 2331027)

That is a perfect temp to crank out some awesome bbq! Guess I need one.

WineMaster 01-16-2013 07:44 PM

W.s.m.

Baby Back Maniac 01-16-2013 07:49 PM

The PBC seems really cool. I've watched all the videos. But it seems like the parts people like are the parts you can replicate. For example, if you like waiting 20 minutes for your charcoal to heat up, you can do that with an WSM. If you like not touching vents, you can do that with a WSM. If you like cooking without a deflector, you can do that with a WSM.

It seems like it really comes down to meat hooks...though I bet that could be replicated as well.

Still, I kinda want one. lol.

Trumpstylz 01-16-2013 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hogsfan (Post 2331091)
It seems like it really comes down to meat hooks...though I bet that could be replicated as well.

Doable, but I think it would be difficult.

Vision 01-16-2013 07:56 PM

I think you'd be nuts to get a pbc over a wsm.