The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   For the Board (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   KCBS & KCBS Website (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75924)

WannaBeBBQueen 01-12-2010 09:43 AM

We complied with the criteria as well, but it doesn't seem to make a difference!

BBQchef33 01-12-2010 11:35 AM

Same here. Took out all my team members, even my son, that were listed under BBQ Brethren.

Also I had my other team listed.. BBQ-Brethren - Brothers in Smoke" which somehow became "Bros In Smoke" with Robert Hansen as head cook. No clue who that is.

lets not speculate, i'd like to assume this was an error in a database migration, or dta transfer.. However, if its not......... i'dhave a different opinion..

Now, I can see them trying to keep their database clean. Thats one thing. But, (and I am speaking as a system administrator of 20+ years), there are things we just dont do, and that is EDIT peoples data. Even in this forum, the only time editing of user data is allowed, is to correct a spelling error in a title or tag(and that is done for search criteria). Admin staff will not just edit something because they dont like it. The state in their disclaimer that they are not responsibile for accuracy, yet they will edyi the data on their own? Changing team names, Bios, members, etc.. WTF?

Altering peoples data is just plain old wrong, IF that is what was done.

In this case(of the alteration on my bio page), its petty and ridiculous. In its simplest form, what advantage is seen by removing he name of a 14 year old team mate? They did however remove everyone else, member or not.

Removing the team mates of a head cook who has been cooking under KCBS for years.. What is that all about? what does it serve?

I have to agree, this ios something that really make me rethink things. Who are they looking out for? i would love to know the rationale behind something like this.

WineMaster 01-12-2010 11:55 AM

Merl????Jeff(oh not yet) anybody??? Bueller..Bueller????

Divemaster 01-12-2010 01:19 PM

I have sent an email to Carolyn Wells asking for an explanation.

Divemaster 01-12-2010 03:03 PM

I sent the following email to Carolyn:
Carolyn,

I just went into my 'Team Bio' and not only found it blank, but also found that my team name had been changed. In checking with my friends on the BBQ-Brethren.com site, I am not the only one. They are finding that members of their teams are missing and other team names have also been changed.

For me, this is a smaller problem since I caught it before I gave out the information to potential sponsors, for others, I am sure that they are scrambling to get the data corrected before it’s discovered.

Why would you guys do this? I can just imagine what one of my new sponsors would have thought if I had given it to them to check.

For the record, my team name is ‘Stockcar BBQ’, not ‘Stock Car B-B-Q’. All of the write ups I had done are missing including the team photo I had posted. None of my team members are listed. It’s like the bio was deleted and re-added in hopes that no one would notice.

I would like a response as to what happened and also some assurance that if the data security is breached in this fashion again, that we would be informed of it.

Thank you,

and received the following reply:
Jeffrey,

First, let me apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced since the Team Bio changes. In an attempt to make the bio section easier for everyone to use and more accessible, some bios were deleted inadvertently. The team name you found in the Bio section is the team name that is registered with your membership. This has not changed, but instead, was pulled directly from our membership database. If you look at past Bullsheets you have received, you will notice that is the way we have always had it spelled in our database. I would be more than happy to change the spelling for you so that it appears correctly in the bio section and in your membership.

Please advise me exactly how you would like to have your team name spelled. Again, I apologize for the trouble.

Dawn Endrijaitis

Kansas City Barbeque Society
Team of the Year Coordinator
Manager, Member Services
800-963-5227
[email protected]

I hope this helps.....

On Edit:
I do find it interesting that there was no assurance that if they ever had problems like this again that they would contact us.

I'm guessing that we, the members, are not high on the priority list.

Bill-Chicago 01-12-2010 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Divemaster (Post 1142483)
I hope this helps.....

PM Sent

Stoke&Smoke 01-12-2010 03:16 PM

our info was gone also, and both the wife and I are members. I think they might have had some kind of data loss incident, but as already stated, it wouldn't hurt to tell folks about it

Red Valley BBQ 01-12-2010 03:49 PM

Has anybody found out why we can't edit the team members? I sent an email to KCBS but have yet to hear back.

Divemaster 01-12-2010 03:53 PM

The following is part of the continuing saga of emails....
Jeff,

Thank you for your patience. Let your friends at the Brethren know they can always call or email me if they have a question or concern. J

If you check it now, you’ll see it has been fixed.

Dawn Endrijaitis
to which I replied....
Dawn,

Thank you for correcting the team name.

One issue still remains though. Are we, as members of KCBS, going to be notified if a breach in data integrity occurs again?

While the disclaimer does protect you from incorrect data supplied to you, KCBS is still responsible for the storage and safe keeping of that data.

I await your response,

Jeff
And I recieved back....
I am out of the office until Monday, January 18. If you need
immediate assistance, please contact the KCBS office @ 800-963-5227.

--
Dawn Endrijaitis

Looks like I may need to request permission to bring this up to the BOD over the weekend....

HBMTN 01-12-2010 05:02 PM

If it was a system crash or something and info was lost I can understand, but then why do they have the team members locked where I can not edit team members to my info?

monty3777 01-12-2010 07:38 PM

Ours is different as well. They also removed the little blurb that my partner in smoke added describing the team. His name has been removed from the team list, but he is listed as the only member of another team. However, the other "team" is actually a typo of our actual team name - a typo made when he was registered as a CBJ and included a team name.

MilitantSquatter 01-12-2010 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willkat98 (Post 1142056)
So I have not been a member for 2 years.

I had to put the KCBS domain on my email Spam filter, cuz I get continual updates on new KCBS Gear, all that farking balloting chit, and even candidate crap from the Board.

So they got some electronic nut jockey deleting non-member teammates from your team profiles, but don't take the time of day to purge their own God Damn Email lists!!!

same here... we should compare notes !!!

Bill-Chicago 01-13-2010 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter (Post 1142655)
same here... we should compare notes !!!

Oops.
My original post was a little strong worded, but I posted that when this thread was in Woodpile.

I would not have even seen it here, but was tracking my posts for follow up replies today.

Hope this all works out for you folks

JD McGee 01-13-2010 11:42 AM

I just checked our team bio...they took out swamprb's name...there's a toll free number to call...gonna give it a shot. :mad:

Update...just got off the phone with Kay @ KCBS (very helpful lady btw). According to her you you can have KCBS members listed on your team even if they are listed on their own or other team(s). She said there should be an area to "add team members" on the team bio edit page. There is not. When I told her this she said it was a "Dawn" thing and that she is out of the office until Monday.

Update #2...got a call back from Kay @ KCBS...she now has the power to change team member information...but...according to her...it can only be done through KCBS. Give her a call...800-963-5227. BTW...Brian is now back on the team member list for "Left Hand Smoke"...Thanks Kay!

crd26a 01-13-2010 02:37 PM

Looks like ours got changed as well