Anyone really sharing secrets?

Gig'em99

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I know I'm guilty of not really wanting to, or divulging my "discoveries."

Although generally new to the Brethren, I certainly like this forum. Among others I've been members of, this one stands out IMO as a place that is far more welcoming, friendly and helpful.

Anyway, in my short time, I've seen a lot of questions come up. Many of which I have "my answer" to, but one I'm reluctant to give...because I compete. Why share secrets that I've taken 10 years to come up with? On the other hand, I wish I had someone that could have just pointed me in the right direction with out the "you're just gonna have to cook, cook, cook." Not saying that isn't important, it's very important...but I spent a lot of time and money figuring things out. And there isn't a lot of time and money out there these days.

So, I'll pass on something that I've held on to for a long time regarding competition brisket. In the end, I don't think it'll make me less competitive either.

I have a way, a method, that get's every brisket I cook loose enough to gently pull apart a slice, but to hold a slice. This method has NEVER failed me in a competition, or in the back yard AS LONG AS I selected a good piece of meat. Now, admittedly, that is a hard part to describe, but when I pick a brisket it's got to be soft and pliable through the flat. You should be able to bend over fairly easily. If's it stiff and not frozen, this method won't work.

Here's my "secret."
Get your brisket to 185 to 195 degrees, throughout. Keep it there for no less than 3 hours. I use a warmer box. Longer than 3 hours makes NO DIFFERENCE (provided you're not letting the temp creep up). But at the 3 hour mark you're safe. Take it out and slice it up, box it. Taste it, etc. The tenderness and texture will be there. It'll hold a slice, with a nice snap or pull if you want it. By the way, at that point, you can let is rest too...the fats and collagens have rendered (it's just chemistry). If you have time to let it rest, do so for 30 min to an hour. It just get's better.

Sure there are other ways...take it up to 205 in the point, then wrap in towel, etc... I've done it that way, and not been able to get good turn in slices. They're always done, but sometimes too done.

Let's face it...in a comp, we're on the clock. So the popular adage "it's done when it's done" doesn't really work for us. We need to KNOW it's done, and in time for it's turn in.

Hot n fast, low n slow...doesn't matter, those temps and rest time combinations have worked in comps for me over the past 5 years, with 3 top 5 finishes and 1 first place in brisket. I use the same process in my back yard too.

For what it's worth, I always use full packers in the 12-18lb range. I never buy select. Almost always by choice, but I'm picky when I select.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents, or 10. Give a try, I'd like to know if it works for you.

I have no problem sharing technic, flavor profiles though are OFF-LIMITS!!

IMHO (and we proved this a number of times), there are no secrets, just what works for you. Share your recipes, down to the ounce. Share your techniques, down to the minute. Side by side, against someone doing the exact same thing, you'll produce 2 different tasting and probably different textured product.

Agreed. Techniques yes. Flavors no.

I have actually shared our no scrape bite through chicken skin method (nothing groundbreaking) with several brethren. I'm all for sharing secrets that help get around obstacles caused by silliness like chicken skin having to be bite through(yeah I know its not a requirement) and garnish. I currently have no tricks for garnish, but if I ever come up with something to make it easier you can bet I'll be sharing.

A few years ago at one of the Midwest Bashes, our own Damnit Andy gave a total brisket tutorial. When he was asked if he wasn't worried about others copying his technique his answer was something along the lines of: "I can't do it exactly the same week after week, so how can you?"

One of the top rated brisket cooks in the country told me that he doesn't use anything except salt, pepper, and garlic in his competion brisket, and even then, he doesn't inject, only cooking liquid....he told me that right up until he threw me up against the wall in private and told me in a different forum (again, in private) that he didn't have anything against me. In the end, it's not what people tell you, but what people do that matters. I'd be very, very wary of what people tell you and pay a lot more attention to what people do if I were you...but what do I know, eh?

dmp

take bits here and there...then practice ...use what works for you..do not over think the cooking process

I'm still kind of new to competition and i'm verry happy there are folks who share theire techniques...

After spending hundreds of euros on meat, rubs, marinades and sauces, and trying to cook the best cuts i only made a huge leap when i started to combine others techniques...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361439284.328225.jpg

Thanks for bringing this up! I just answered an email from someone on this precise subject. Not really a secret.... unless you don't know it. And there are scores of people that don't. I have LONG since maintained just what you are writing and people often get the wrong idea.

I think actually when Franklin dude did his brisket thing he was asked "and so Franklin person, do you rest the brisket?" and he was to have responded..."oh it rests, alright." giving many who understand socio-linguistics a cue to his "secret."

I think its marvelous that you are sharing this... really I do... because its the key to this particular and complex cut. But once you figure it out... its no longer complex is it?

I have put it this way before.... cooking brisket is like a my first girlfriend sweet Yvette. God she was so beautiful. I would pedal my heart out on my bike to get to her house back in the day... the reason why was so I could spend more time with her. I wanted to just be around her as long as I could. I cannot tell you how beautiful she was... okay, she is on my facebook.... so pretty that you didn't want to kiss her because she's be out of focus cuz ur too close. Know what I mean? and if I had to be home at 7 I would stay with her until the very last second and pedal hard back to my house miles away.

So let me tie it up.... I long discovered that you can go nearly as fast as you want to the stall... where ever you think that is.... but when you get there you need to slow down and keep the brisket there for a long while... in your case I agree... a rather large portion of the whole cook. The guy I just wrote made an error he was not happy with... he did everything right (he was using my hot and fast method) but then got impatient at the stall and tried to blast through it. He ramped up the temp... it burned, the fat and collagen weeped out too fast and he was not happy with the results.

and to make this point even more excruciatingly long, :) my girl Yvette stands out in my memory (like a brisket) as an example of me understanding the complexity of women (or her - we were real young then) a little bit too. You see when she would invite me over, I basically had said everything right over the phone, at school etc.

When I got to her house I was courteous... shy, listened to her, resisted my urges to be an asshat or too fresh.... and eventually it paid off... she gave me my first kiss... she did it... I rushed everything until I got there (to the stall) then relaxed and let things unfold. That's the way a brisket is... you can rush it to the stall, but they really need that long processing time afterward for texture and taste to distribute.

Agreed. Techniques yes. Flavors no.

I have actually shared our no scrape bite through chicken skin method (nothing groundbreaking) with several brethren. I'm all for sharing secrets that help get around obstacles caused by silliness like chicken skin having to be bite through(yeah I know its not a requirement) and garnish. I currently have no tricks for garnish, but if I ever come up with something to make it easier you can bet I'll be sharing.

Do you mind sharing your chicken secret with several more brethren? :)

Thanks for sharing...

I have a question...

Get your brisket to 185 to 195 degrees, throughout. Keep it there for no less than 3 hours. I use a warmer box.

What type of warmer box?

Thanks for sharing...

I have a question...

What type of warmer box?

It's a box that is built right on top of my fire box. (Off set smoker). I can regulate the temp via some baffles. So, the brisket is wrapped by this time, probably for several hours already. I try to keep my warmer 40-50 degrees cooler than my main chamber, or right in the 185 range, for obvious reasons, based on my technique.

Also, if my stabilized brisket starts dropping temp, it's wrapped, so I just put it back in the cooker. It's all about maintaining that range/time.

It's a box that is built right on top of my fire box. (Off set smoker). I can regulate the temp via some baffles. So, the brisket is wrapped by this time, probably for several hours already. I try to keep my warmer 40-50 degrees cooler than my main chamber, or right in the 185 range, for obvious reasons, based on my technique.

Also, if my stabilized brisket starts dropping temp, it's wrapped, so I just put it back in the cooker. It's all about maintaining that range/time.

Thanks... Most cooks won't have the luxury of a warming box like that, so maintaining that temp range could be a challenge.That's why you see a lot of cooks taking the brisket to the pint where itis done and then holding it in a cooler or Cambro.

Done plenty without a warmer box too. You can maintain that temp by moving it from cooker to holding container. It's not that burdensome. No more so than add wood to the firebox.

Doing it at home can be achieved by using an oven.

I agree about the technique is cool to discuss, but alot of comp guys just won't give up their flavor profile. As far as my brisket goes, I cook it @275-350 depending on what I gotta get done. Cook it till it probes tender no matter what the internal is. I regularly take them to 210 with stellar results. 4 hr rest in the Cambro 300. You want it tender and juicy no matter what. IMO with brisket if you can't cut it with a fork or pull it apart with 1 hand it's tough.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjDP7pYtB3c&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]J$ comp brisket precook - YouTube[/ame]

Back