The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Meadow Creek p36 vs. Hasty Bake (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150252)

hbc01 12-26-2012 03:56 PM

Meadow Creek p36 vs. Hasty Bake

looking to get your feedback on the positives and negatives of the Medow Creek P36 and the Hasty Bake.

cowgirl 12-26-2012 07:26 PM

I've not cooked on a Meadow Creek but I love my Hasty Bake. It's great for grilling, baking, some smoking. When I want to do a long smoke as in briskets, pulled pork etc.. I use my other smokers. The HB would do it but I would need to add additional coal for long smokes.

hmmmm.... I sound lazy! lol I am so used to using my drums, load them with coal and they will smoke for hours. :becky:

Can't say enough good things about the Hasty Bake, it's a great cooker!! The adjustable hot coal rack gives it the feel of a Santa Maria type grill with the benefit of a hood.

Good luck with what ever you get!

martyleach 12-26-2012 07:41 PM

I have a Hasty Bake so can't speak to the other. I definitely think of it as a grill first. I have a large in the ground Santa Maria Pit but use the Hasty Bake occasionally to get that cooked over wood flavor without having to burn wood for a hour to get some coals on the big guy.
Like any other cooker, it takes some time and patience to work out how you want to get the job done, which to me is the fun of BBQ. I love cooking chicken on it as well.

I love the indirect option for a tri-tip and then pull out the indirect and give it a big sear by cranking up the heat source.

I have found that adjusting the temp with the vents just doesn't work real well. You really need to adjust the temp by the amount of fuel that is lit.

Good luck. I am very happy with mine.

hbc01 12-27-2012 08:39 AM

Thanks guys, that helps a lot. Hows the construction? Do you see it being around in 30 years or so, or will be on the side of the barn ready to be scrapped.

R2Egg2Q 12-27-2012 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hbc01 (Post 2308088)
Thanks guys, that helps a lot. Hows the construction? Do you see it being around in 30 years or so, or will be on the side of the barn ready to be scrapped.

What model Hasty Bake are you considering? Like Jeanie & Marty above, I own a HB Gourmet model with a dual finish (powder coated base & stainless top). IMO, the construction is good and I can picture mine lasting 30 years if I properly care for it. I do keep mine covered and out of direct contact with the elements so I think I have a fair shot at it. Keep in mind the warranty isn't anywhere near 30 years but there are folks that have HBs that old.

Now what I don't think has any shot of lasting 30 years is the HB galvannealed heat deflector. It is kind of thin and is subjected to intense heat.

Like Jeanie & Marty, I use mine mostly as a grill, done a little baking on it, but don't particularly care to do a long smoke on it as I have other cookers that can handle long smokes without reloading lump.

I only know a little about Meadow Creek cookers (from what I've read) but it seems like those who own them have good things to say about them. I like the thicker wall construction (13 gauge vs 18 gauge on a HB). They look pretty heavy duty. Not sure about their warranty. I think you can cook a little longer on a single load in a PR36 than a HB. Reloading a HB is pretty easy, I just don't care to do it if I don't have to.

What are you looking to do most of with your cooker? Grill or smoke?

Perhaps someone with a Meadow Creek PR36 can chime in and tell us about their cooker.

hbc01 12-28-2012 12:04 PM

Its going to be mostly grilling, but I love smoking and have roasted a couple of whole pigs in the past. Smoking can be hot and messy, which I don't mind, its part of the fun. Now I live in Phoenix and the HB would be an easier tool to use in the summer. But the MC seems like it would last a life time. HB has some serious fans and they don't have much negative to say about their grills. Still can't make up my mind. My old smoker bit the dust and Im selling my gas grill. I just want one piece of equipment to do everything. Which I know is asking a lot. But if I'm going to spend $1300 on it, I want it last and do a good job.

superdan 12-28-2012 12:51 PM

Having recently acquired a hasty I would echo the above. It is a grill, not a smoker. I think it seems good quality but I wouldn't compare it to the quality of a high end offset. I don't have a meadow creek but I do have a nice offset and it is a tank. The hasty is more like a light armored vehicle... Taken care of I expect it to last.