The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Sirloin Tip (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=157197)

smokinrack 03-27-2013 11:56 AM

Sirloin Tip

Well apparently I have temporarily burned out my family on pork. While we were at Sams last time I picked up a case of sirloin tip roast which I usually cut into steaks and sear on the grill.I have one about 9 1/2Lbs and want to have a little get together this weekend so instead of cutting it into steaks I decided to do the whole thing on the smoker.Problem is ive never cooked one.

My plan is to put a light rub on it the night before and inject it with a little onion soup mix, then cook it at about 250-275 the following day till it hits about 135 IT pull it and wrap it for an hour or so.This sound right? Ive googled it and temps for cooking them and the prep on them is all over the place so I was thinking this would be a middle of the road approach for my first attempt at one.

El Ropo 03-27-2013 12:09 PM

If you can manage a lower temp, i'd slow smoke it at 225-240 till internal of 110-115, then reverse sear it till IT hits 130ish. Rest for at least 30 min before slicing and serving. Temp will continue to rise during rest somewhere between 5 to 10 degrees, and you'll have a perfect med rare from edge to edge.

The problem with cooking a large piece of meat like that at higher temps, is the outer areas end up overcooked when the center is at desired temp. So you get a donut effect. brown outer ring with a pink center. I'd rather have it nice and pink all the way through with a nice crust on the outside.

John Bowen 03-27-2013 12:09 PM

I have done two in my life.
1. I cooked very similar to how you describe above but I did not inject. The meat seemed very tough to me and I was not happy with the final product.
2. After watching someone on YouTube I cooked the second one just like the first but after I let it rest about an hour I sliced it up thin put it in the crock pot with a jazzed up beef broth / onion soup mix and let it simmer on low several hours. It made killer sandwiches.

El Ropo 03-27-2013 12:20 PM

If you cook them past med rare, they will be tough.

DownHomeQue 03-27-2013 12:34 PM

never cooked one.. sounds spot on though.. i would try it and see what happens:laugh:

smokinrack 03-27-2013 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DownHomeQue (Post 2425432)
never cooked one.. sounds spot on though.. i would try it and see what happens:laugh:

That's pretty much my plan, actually that's pretty much my motto:wink:

I like the reverse sear idea think ill try that out. And if it sucks into the crockpot for sandwiches it goes. :mrgreen:

BBQdisciple 03-27-2013 04:45 PM

I do these often and with great success.

First I score both sides. Then I marinade in balsamic vinegar, olive oil, crushed garlic maybe a little soy sauce and worcestershire or even dry sherry. the acid breaks the meat down and the oil extracts the spices and locks into the meat.

after 24 hour marinade I brush with a little honey and some black pepper and salt. I throw it on a hot grill and cook like a fat steak. Sear on both sides then roast to a medium rare. it is important to slice against the grain.

The meat is tougher, so I think an acidic marinade is crucial

I haven't reverse seared one, but don't see why not. (that whole idea is new to me and I haven't had the chance yet)

But these sirloin tips are one of my favorites to cook with the above procedure when I find them on sale or manager's special.

good luck

Hoss 03-27-2013 07:21 PM

I sometimes use sirloin and chuck roast for pulled beef.It works well.I agree with above statement about cooking at a lower temp to avoid the donut effect if you decide to cook it to slice.