Backwoods help needed

Pappy Q

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Have a new Competitor and Guru, new to these smokers and Gurus. No matter what temp I try to cook at, the smoker runs high at 20-30 degrees over set temp. This happens with fan at 1/3 setting, other vent closed and exhaust vet barely open. Water level is fine, doors are as tight as possible, fuel is in a "S" pattern. Any suggestions?

Next time you start your cooker, as soon as your cooker gets to your desired temp, open the firebox and slide out your coal tray. Check to see how many coals are lit.

What do u mean "fan at 1/3 setting". I have the exact set up and it will do 225* for 12+ hrs.

Don't Guru fans have a damper that can be opened and closed to a desired setting to allow for more or less air flow? That may be what he means by 1/3 setting.

For me, I fill the basket up as much as possible! And I mean full! The Guru will determine the burn rate for the most part. I am under the impression that using the snake pattern is for when you do not have a Guru; that controls the burn rate.

The WiFi Guru will actually "learn" your smoker and the type fuel you are using and adjust itself so as not to overshoot or let the temp fall to low.

Is temp you are referring to what is shown on the Guru?

Also, my fan damper is wide open, opposite side vent closed, and top exhaust open about the width of my index finger.

When I first start it, I have the exhaust wide open till it gets about 200*. Then, I close it to finger width.

wallace

Don't Guru fans have a damper that can be opened and closed to a desired setting to allow for more or less air flow? That may be what he means by 1/3 setting.

Yes, that's what I meant. The fan damper is 1/3 open.

First, I LOVE my BBQ Guru on my Big Green Egg. Best money I ever spent on an accessory for a cooker.

I bought a used Backwoods Gater and an adapter plate for the Guru. I found it easier to regulate my heat on the Backwoods without the Guru rather than with it. Remember my cooker was used, and not nearly so air tight as a new one, and that may be a factor in my results.

I wrote a post to the Backwoods-Smoker forum titled "My How-To Guide" on my experience with Backwoods setup. Link here: http://www.backwoods-smoker.com/forums.htm/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8509

I am sure others disagree, just my opinion......

IMO, on a competitor, durring warm-up, the fan has to stay ON so long that it ignites far too many coals resulting in over-shot temps. Sometimes even though you are using a fuse or s-burn. Coals will still ignite on both sides of the metal.

Dan's spot on. Check out his method of starting his MJH. Competitor is virtually the same size

IMO, on a competitor, durring warm-up, the fan has to stay ON so long that it ignites far too many coals resulting in over-shot temps. Sometimes even though you are using a fuse or s-burn. Coals will still ignite on both sides of the metal.

I let it come up to temp before turning on the fan. Only coals burning are within the metal. I'm at a loss.

Another thing I learned, is to bring the unit up to temp slowly.. Get it up to 150, then 180, then 200, then 225-235 which is where I try to cook at.

I let the temp stabilize at each temp before climbing up.

I get about 8-9 hours cook time with. Full bracket of lump.

wallace

First, I LOVE my BBQ Guru on my Big Green Egg. Best money I ever spent on an accessory for a cooker.

I bought a used Backwoods Gater and an adapter plate for the Guru. I found it easier to regulate my heat on the Backwoods without the Guru rather than with it. Remember my cooker was used, and not nearly so air tight as a new one, and that may be a factor in my results.

I wrote a post to the Backwoods-Smoker forum titled "My How-To Guide" on my experience with Backwoods setup. Link here: http://www.backwoods-smoker.com/forums.htm/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8509

I am sure others disagree, just my opinion......

While I might not agree with everything, this sure is a great write-up!

Thanks!

wallace

start closing off the vents earlier as you get to temp? the underlying problem is your ending up with a fire bigger than you need to sustain your target temps.

are you getting air leaking through the non guru vent that you dont know about? Its pretty common to see bws with the non guru vent taped off to eliminate air leaks

cant rush insulated reverse flow verticals. far to efficient to just bleed off excessive heat

All good advice in this thread.

Waiting for the BWS to come up to temp just kills me!

One method that I gleaned from the BWS forum for starting was removing the heat deflector and filling the waterpan as the pit starts reaching your desired temp. I speed things up by preheating (and burning/cleaning off the cook grates) the cook chamber with my weed burner, replace the deflector, check the coal tray to see how much has fired off and set the Guru with the pit probe on the door thermo.

I will add my technique I use in my Extended Party and Fatboy. I fill the basket pretty full, about 10 lb. of charcoal and light an absolute minimum number of briquettes, about 10 in a chimney (yes I use briquettes and this isn't intended to be a discussion on briquettes vs. lump). Place them in a corner away from the fan and set the Guru for 150. I let the temp come up slowly to 150 and stabilize for 5-10 minutes, then I set to 180. Repeat for 210 and then set final temp. That seems to work pretty good for me. I run a 25CFM fan wide open and top vent open about two fingers. The down side is this can take awhile, but I have time at a comp so I take the time needed. I get a good solid overnight cook out of that technique.

Start a full chimney on a turkey cooker or however ya want. Dump said chimney into a 1/2 sheet pan. Pull the fire tray out of your cooker and set the 1/2 sheet of lit coals on the ash pan and close it up. Set the guru to your desired temp. While the cooker heats up, get your fire tray filled with coals and wood leaving a void in the corner where the fan blows. When the cooker reaches 200 Add hot tap water. At 220 replace 1/2 sheet pan of lit coals with your fire tray putting 10-15 hot coals in the void. When the cooker gets to within 10 degrees of your cooking temp. Damper down the guru.
I do it this way cause I dont have to use my cooking fuel to heat up the cooker then.
I also use Briquettes as I think lump burns too hot and less consistant.

We use a fatboy. I always load the coal basket full leaving only a well in the front right corner for a well lit chimney load. then I bring the cooker up to temp with the right side vent about 1/2" open. once up to temp I close down the vent and switch to the guru

Start a full chimney on a turkey cooker or however ya want. Dump said chimney into a 1/2 sheet pan. Pull the fire tray out of your cooker and set the 1/2 sheet of lit coals on the ash pan and close it up. Set the guru to your desired temp. While the cooker heats up, get your fire tray filled with coals and wood leaving a void in the corner where the fan blows. When the cooker reaches 200 Add hot tap water. At 220 replace 1/2 sheet pan of lit coals with your fire tray putting 10-15 hot coals in the void. When the cooker gets to within 10 degrees of your cooking temp. Damper down the guru.
I do it this way cause I dont have to use my cooking fuel to heat up the cooker then.
I also use Briquettes as I think lump burns too hot and less consistant.

I think I read your comments on another thread and forgot about it.

However, I am making a written note of this! This seems like a great idea and I gotta give it a try. I really like the idea of getting the smoker body itself up to temp and then adding hot water, then, putting the fuel basket in with a full load.

It usually takes me about 2 hours to get up to stable cooking temps (no big hurry) and by then, have used a lot of fuel. This should give me a bunch of extra time as well as not having to replenish the water any sooner.

Thanks!! :thumb:

wallace

Another thing I learned, is to bring the unit up to temp slowly.. Get it up to 150, then 180, then 200, then 225-235 which is where I try to cook at.

wallace

Gee, I wonder where you learned that???:roll:

Seriously though, that will help you, also take a looks at your charcoal. Depending on the brand, it may burn faster than necessary.....

Back