The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Taliban? Watch out for the contractors (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96077)

Stacks 11-25-2010 10:38 AM

Taliban? Watch out for the contractors

This morning as I went into work I could smell the sweet scent of hickory lofting through the Kuwaiti air. About 10:00 I couldn't take it any more and went to investigate it's source. I found a rather nice home made off set between two buildings just off the airfield. As I approached the cooker wondering how this piece of equipment escaped my notice all year a civilian contractor came out to tend the fire. I introduced myself and asked if I could take a peek. Getting his permission the first thing I noticed was the smoke stack lid was covering about 3/4 of the pipe. Inside this gentleman had two nice briskets and a bacon wrapped turkey cooking for Thanksgiving dinner. The bacon looked just about cooked and the turkey was brown but not quite ready. The briskets were darker brown with a light bark. He poked the brisket to test the tenderness and it had a little bounce to it. still a ways to go before it's done. I asked about his rub and how he prepped the bird. He told me the bird was stuffed with bacon and onion and he used a store bought rub from home, but the secret was "low and slow." He told me he put the bird and the briskets on at 0230 and invited me to eat with them at 1800. They were going to have a full dinner going.
While he was talking and I'm standing there looking at the meat I'm doing some quick math in my head. "turkey been cooking for 8 hours+ eating in another 8 hours =:shocked: "What temp are you cooking at?" I asked. "150" was the reply. :doh: How do you tell someone they may be cooking up a beautiful Thanksgiving dinner that will stay with them until Christmas?:sick: I asked if he was aware of the danger zones for meat especially poultry and that his bird has been in that zone for 8 hours or more? I suggested he not serve the turkey and bump his temp up to 225-250 until the Brisket was done and eat that for thanksgiving.
Let me just say, some cooks do not want advice... I had my Thanksgiving Turkey in the chow hall.
Happy Thanksgiving Everyone

LMAJ 11-25-2010 10:45 AM

Better to speak up and maybe save him and his friends from something they really don't want.

Bluesman 11-25-2010 10:47 AM

It takes some pretty big stones to tell the cook he's smokin death. You did the right thing.

bigabyte 11-25-2010 10:51 AM

You did the right thing. What a farking idiot! Nobody ate any of it I assume, right?

Stacks 11-25-2010 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigabyte (Post 1466955)
You did the right thing. What a farking idiot! Nobody ate any of it I assume, right?

Don't know if he took my advice or not.

bluetang 11-25-2010 01:27 PM

Well played!

HarleyEarl 11-25-2010 02:02 PM

Great advice - I would have headed for the chow hall also. You need to turn him on to this forum, maybe he'll learn a thing or two.

HBMTN 11-25-2010 05:39 PM

You did the right thing, this way no matter what happens you don't have to think "I should have said something" later if they get sick or worse.

jestridge 11-25-2010 05:41 PM

Cooking at 150 it will never get done

SmokeWatcher 11-25-2010 08:35 PM

Well....you tried to warn him!

bingo1912 11-26-2010 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacks (Post 1466931)
This morning as I went into work I could smell the sweet scent of hickory lofting through the Kuwaiti air. About 10:00 I couldn't take it any more and went to investigate it's source. I found a rather nice home made off set between two buildings just off the airfield. As I approached the cooker wondering how this piece of equipment escaped my notice all year a civilian contractor came out to tend the fire. I introduced myself and asked if I could take a peek. Getting his permission the first thing I noticed was the smoke stack lid was covering about 3/4 of the pipe. Inside this gentleman had two nice briskets and a bacon wrapped turkey cooking for Thanksgiving dinner. The bacon looked just about cooked and the turkey was brown but not quite ready. The briskets were darker brown with a light bark. He poked the brisket to test the tenderness and it had a little bounce to it. still a ways to go before it's done. I asked about his rub and how he prepped the bird. He told me the bird was stuffed with bacon and onion and he used a store bought rub from home, but the secret was "low and slow." He told me he put the bird and the briskets on at 0230 and invited me to eat with them at 1800. They were going to have a full dinner going.
While he was talking and I'm standing there looking at the meat I'm doing some quick math in my head. "turkey been cooking for 8 hours+ eating in another 8 hours =:shocked: "What temp are you cooking at?" I asked. "150" was the reply. :doh: How do you tell someone they may be cooking up a beautiful Thanksgiving dinner that will stay with them until Christmas?:sick: I asked if he was aware of the danger zones for meat especially poultry and that his bird has been in that zone for 8 hours or more? I suggested he not serve the turkey and bump his temp up to 225-250 until the Brisket was done and eat that for thanksgiving.
Let me just say, some cooks do not want advice... I had my Thanksgiving Turkey in the chow hall.
Happy Thanksgiving Everyone

Stacks
Just wanted to tell you. Thank You for what you are doing. It's people like you that allow people like me/us to have a Thanksgiving/Christmas/freedom.
You better check on those people tomorrow and see how they are feeling, I would be curious to know.
TTYL
Gary

Jay Bird 11-26-2010 02:06 PM

Chow hall was a good move. You did the best thing by informing him & removing yourself from the potential blast area.

KnucklHed BBQ 11-26-2010 02:23 PM

Was prolly smoking with msg-soaked black walnut in a galvanized cooker too, wasn't he?

Makes me wonder, at 150°, what target IT was he shooting for??? 149?? Mmmmmm-mmm! :thumb:

Chef Jim 11-26-2010 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluesman (Post 1466949)
It takes some pretty big stones to tell the cook he's smokin death. You did the right thing.

My thoughts exactly. :thumb::thumb::thumb: