The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   I'm Certified! (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23456)

Ron_L 01-13-2007 11:58 PM

I'm Certified!

I attended the CBJ class held in Westmont, IL today, so I'm now a CBJ! The class was organized by Joey Mac of Joey Mac's Smoke Stax BBQ and preesnted by Mike and Theresa Lake. There was 45 people in the class! I had a chance to meet Bill, N-2-Que and his wife (Sorry... I've managed to forget her name) and had a chance to talk to Mike, Joe, and Scottie Johnson of Cancer Sucks BBQ and the Jack champion. I saw a few other familiar faces from local comps including Bryan S. who is a lurker here (Bryan? Ya out there?).

HoDeDo 01-14-2007 12:50 AM

Congrats on the CBJ!
Kim and I are going to both try to get our CBJs also this year. I've been wanting to get it done for the last 2 years.

Sledneck 01-14-2007 04:54 AM

You popped your cherry!

Kevin 01-14-2007 05:41 AM

I always suspected you were certifiable. Not we know. Congrats.

CTSmokehouse 01-14-2007 08:22 AM

Congrats! Way to go!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

MilitantSquatter 01-14-2007 08:28 AM

Ronelle - How was the actual class in your opinion ?

Did you walk out of the class learning anything, change your opinion on things, or did you just feel you got certified to judge a comp. and not much more ?

Ron_L 01-14-2007 09:52 AM

I did learn quite a bit, but a lot of it was really common sense. Things like getting a DQ for appearance for not having the right number of pieces in the box (failing to cut ribs all the way through or failing to slice brisket all the way through are two common mistakes, apparently. I know that Greg wouldn't even think about about putitng ribs or brisket into the box without checking to see if they were cut properly).

I also learned why we see scores that range from 999 to 333 from the same table! they served us samples from each category with different mistakes, etc., and the range in opinions on that food was wild! there was one sample of pulled pork that was served in golf ball sized scoops, but the scoops were packed so hard that they were rolling around in he box, and the pork was mush and had absolutely no flavor, and three guys gave them 8's and 9's!

Spydermike72 01-14-2007 11:03 AM

Congrats Ron!! I took the class with Mike Lake as well. Mike and Theresa are good people. It sounds like it was a good time!!

Solidkick 01-14-2007 11:47 AM

Oh great.....another certifed(typo on purpose) critic...:tongue: ....should I call WSM and see what kind of cooler works best??:tongue:

Just yanking your chain Ronelle.....congrats on the acomplishment....i'm going to try and attend a class this spring....and fully expect you to dish it right back at me!!:wink:

Jeff_in_KC 01-14-2007 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solidkick
Oh great.....another certifed(typo on purpose) critic...:tongue: ....should I call WSM and see what kind of cooler works best??:tongue:

Just yanking your chain Ronelle.....congrats on the acomplishment....i'm going to try and attend a class this spring....and fully expect you to dish it right back at me!!:wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Now THAT was some funny chit, Gary!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Congrats, Ron! I gotta get my wife certified before the season gets rolling too.

scottyd 01-14-2007 03:35 PM

Great job Ron myself and wife became CBJ's last year. It was a great experience. KCBS needs new judges all the time the more the merrier.

The_Kapn 01-14-2007 05:10 PM

Good deal Ron!

Now, go Judge!
That is where the fun and value is!

TIM

Muzzlebrake 01-14-2007 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sledneck
You popped your cherry!

and the biggest thing is you didnt rat out your friends

ThomEmery 01-14-2007 05:24 PM

It was after taking the class and Judging that we decided to jump in and compete I knew I could do what some of those guys had turned in :)

chad 01-14-2007 06:00 PM

You have to understand that "class" food is not usually the best anyone can do...some of it downright sucks. But, someone volunteered to be pit slaves to make that multitude of boxes.

Ron, congrats...I agree with Tim, get out and judge. After a few sessions in the tent you'll have a whole new perspective. If you compete, you'll still get a WHOLE new perspective!!