The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Affordable wood? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144905)

CustomBBQ 09-27-2012 11:47 AM

Affordable wood?

Hey people, hope everyone is doing well. I was wondering where I can purchase wood for a reasonable price. I've been buying smaller bags of chips and chunks from Lowes and Benny's etc, but I'd like to buy more so I can stock up a bit. Does anyone have suggestions? I also have access to a chainsaw if there is some way for me to get my hands on a large piece of wood. Any info on this is greatly appreciated.

Peace

Gnaws on Pigs 09-27-2012 11:59 AM

I just cut my own. You could talk to some tree trimmers in your area. I'm sure anybody who sells firewood would have some good oak and maybe hickory that they would sell you by the truckload for a hundred bucks or so-sure would beat paying $8 for a bag with a handful of little wood chunks in it.

columbia1 09-27-2012 12:19 PM

You can also check your local wood mills, around here 90% of the alder is chipped for paper or hog fuel, very easy to get all you want(within reason) just by asking.

chad 09-27-2012 12:24 PM

Check with the arborist (tree trimmers). I've had nicely trimmed pieces and mulch put right in my front yard just by asking when they were working on my neighbor's trees. Also, keep an eye on the curb - I've gotten nice sized pieces from the church when tree there were trimmed and often, if your neighbors trim up you can get wood right in the area.
I have a stickburner so larger pieces have been my scores..but it you are using a smaller cooker with chunks or chips you can really do well with trimmed limbs and cut them into chunks with a chop saw.

Nick's BBQ 09-27-2012 12:24 PM

I have seen ads on craigslist and similar local sites for wood. I got lucky and found a few old apple and peach trees that needed to be cut down.

HickoryJ 09-27-2012 12:26 PM

try craigslist. thats where i scored my cherry. truck load for $75. i just searched CL for split hardwood and there it was. that was even delivered and stacked!

gettinbasted 09-27-2012 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HickoryJ (Post 2226997)
try craigslist. thats where i scored my cherry. truck load for $75. i just searched CL for split hardwood and there it was. that was even delivered and stacked!

+1 for craigslist

Wampus 09-27-2012 01:10 PM

I live near an apple orchard that I get free apple wood from. They trim every winter and whenever there's storm damage, they also have a lot of wood to go through. If you have any orchards near you, check with them.

OR......you could go HERE. They have a great "ship to store" option so you don't have to pay shipping, but just go to your nearest store and pick it up.

yakdung 09-27-2012 01:41 PM

Having access to a bandsaw will do wonders. It will allow you to cut into bite sized chunks.

CustomBBQ 09-27-2012 05:49 PM

Man, this forum is great, haha. Thanks so much for everyones input! Wampus, one of those stores is about 16 miles from me, not too bad if I want to go that route. Good to know.

I do have at least 4 or 5 apple orchards around me, I'll have to get on the phone real soon, haha. I'd love to get some more apple wood.

Peace

PlanB-BBQ 09-27-2012 06:30 PM

I just follow a local logger. He'll drag out a hickory for me to cut for all the BBQ he can eat!

CustomBBQ 09-30-2012 04:41 PM

Hey, I have another question for you guys. If I am able to get some freshly cut wood, is there a way to expedite the drying process? Also, if you just wait for it to dry, how long does that typically take? Let's say that it's cut into chunks already. Thanks in advance.

Peace

Gore 09-30-2012 05:45 PM

There are a few neighborhoods I drive through after a storm hits. I just pick up the branches that come down. Usually people even have it trimmed up and on the side of the road with the recycling. It's the only good thing about a nor'easter.

caseydog 09-30-2012 05:53 PM

Don't forget your own yard. I have a big live oak that I prune every January, to keep it ready for ice storms and severe thunderstorms. I use a chop saw to make wood chunks for the WSM.

CD

cliffcarter 09-30-2012 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CustomBBQ (Post 2230310)
Hey, I have another question for you guys. If I am able to get some freshly cut wood, is there a way to expedite the drying process? Also, if you just wait for it to dry, how long does that typically take? Let's say that it's cut into chunks already. Thanks in advance.

Peace

if you cut the wood into 2" thick by 2" wide by 3" tall pieces it will be ready to use in 4 weeks, by my experience. If you need splits for an offset it will take any where from 8 months to 3 years depending on the species.