The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Catering, Food Handling and Awareness (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Award Winning Recipe ?? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96440)

bottomsupbbq 12-01-2010 07:02 PM

Award Winning Recipe ??

I have looked through a few of the catering web pages lately and for those that also cook competition BBQ they advertise on there catering page “award winning” ribs, brisket chicken etc. How many of you actually use your “award winning” recipes for catering jobs?

JD McGee 12-01-2010 07:05 PM

My ribs never change...comp or catering! Pork butt and brisket are the same rubs and sauces (for the most part) minus injections...chicken is quite a bit different...:becky:

Mister Bob 12-01-2010 09:40 PM

I go for crisp skin on the chicken for catering and bite through for comps. I use the same rubs, but the process is much different.
I do ribs and butts pretty much the same way for comps and catering.
I use Waygu briskets for comps and choice for catering, but otherwise the recipe is the same.

landarc 12-01-2010 10:11 PM

I do not own a championship or any awards for my BBQ, but, I take that advert that a place has award winning BBQ with a grain of salt. It means nothing, as there are all sorts of places to win an award. I tend to think people who use 'championship' or 'award winning' or 'world famous' are just throwing out marketing terms.

J_Don 12-02-2010 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landarc (Post 1472443)
I do not own a championship or any awards for my BBQ, but, I take that advert that a place has award winning BBQ with a grain of salt. It means nothing, as there are all sorts of places to win an award. I tend to think people who use 'championship' or 'award winning' or 'world famous' are just throwing out marketing terms.

I totally agree. We have a couple of Q joints around here that advertise Award Winning and I'm almost sure the award came from a 3 team backyard competition. Gives Great BBQ a BAD reputation IMHO.

big brother smoke 12-02-2010 08:22 AM

Though awards have been won, I do not boast the term in my business.
I do speak about it in our FAQs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bbq Bubba 12-02-2010 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD McGee (Post 1472309)
My ribs never change...comp or catering! Pork butt and brisket are the same rubs and sauces (for the most part) minus injections...chicken is quite a bit different...:becky:

Really? You foil and add all the sweet to vending ribs?

No. Competition food has its place, and were certainly not putting that kind of effort into our BBQ when cooking for 200 people.

Just sayin.

Capn Kev 12-13-2010 05:18 PM

I pretty much use the same processes for catering as I do for comps, just on a larger scale. However, the recipes are not the same. I do not use phosphate injections for catering, but I do inject my big meats. I do not do my chicken the same...I grill for comps, and I brine & smoke for catering. ...and yes, I foil my ribs.

I alter my sauces to go for more traditional flavorings. Such as Head Country, Cookies, etc. Blues Hog is only used a little bit in my catering...it can become overwhelming if used in excess. I like to use Butch's, and Cowtown too.

Just my $.02

RICK Allen 12-13-2010 05:38 PM

I also foil my ribs and my pulled pork but I throw in a can of pepsi, my secret weapon as taste and falling off the bone is so important when catering:redface:

Dr_KY 12-13-2010 06:28 PM

I use my award winning style, cookers, sauces and seasonings and even a few that are not.

Fatback Joe 12-14-2010 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba (Post 1473382)
were certainly not putting that kind of effort into our BBQ when cooking for 200 people.

Slacker. :becky:

Dutchovendude 12-27-2010 08:01 PM

We do. In fact, at many of our comps, we are also vending. We are winning awards with the same exact meat we are serving to the public at the same time. Often times we have to tell folks in line they will have to wait a few minutes while we throw some meat in a box and run it to the judges.

These awards were taken with the same food we served to about 1500 people at that event!
http://tumbleweedbbq.com/images/img_3965b.jpg

JD McGee 12-28-2010 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba (Post 1473382)
Really? You foil and add all the sweet to vending ribs?

No. Competition food has its place, and were certainly not putting that kind of effort into our BBQ when cooking for 200 people.

Just sayin.

LOL! I never foil my ribs...at comps or for catering...:cool:

Dyce51 02-08-2011 10:36 AM

All of my sauces are my own recipes. I never use store bought!! At home or competition doesn't matter I use my award winner ever time!!

Jeff Hughes 02-09-2011 02:10 PM

Award winning is a big term. Peoples choice, state fairs, rib burns, unsanctioned good ole boy contests, they all give awards.

I know of no one who competes at the highest levels and also cooks professionally that uses the same recipes and techniques. Ask Donny Teel, Tuffy Stone, Steve Farrin or any of the other big boys. The food they give the public is great, but it's not the same food they give the judges for many reasons.

When you beat guys like that with the same food you vend, cater or have in your restaurant, you will really have something going...

EXCEPTION-Something occurred to me. I have done true "comp style" caterings for smaller groups. It runs well over 30 bucks/head, and makes for a fun party. For that price they get the full blown comp deal plus "actual award winning" sides and desserts.