The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Lump vs. Briquets (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43299)

AlbuQue 05-27-2008 12:56 PM

Lump vs. Briquets

I'm interested in what everyone thinks about the advantages and disadvantages of lump and briquets, considering Loews has Kingsford fo 22 cents a pound and HD is at 23 cents and I bought my first RO lump at Walmart for 56 cents a pound.

91vw03 05-27-2008 01:16 PM

The RO lump produces less ash, which made it easier to control the temps. Almost set and forget. With the briquets the amount of ash seems to fill in the space below and block the airflow. This is all in my chargriller offset. I'm thinking a charcoal basket would help.

Also the lump produced a better taste? More like wood and less like filler?

zabor16 05-27-2008 02:00 PM

I am a firm believer in lump, don't care for the flavor of briquets. Primarily use BGE lump or when they are out of that Patio Chef lump but will go for RO when the others are not available.

thillin 05-27-2008 02:11 PM

Depends on your cooker type. Some do better with lump, some do better with briquets. Lump burns hotter and produces less ash, and cleaner taste to me. Briquets are more consistant heat due to regular shape. Being said, I only used briquets for a coal base, then switched to wood with my offset. My Green Eggs only use lump, never briquets.

cmcadams 05-27-2008 02:18 PM

Lump has a huge variation in quality, so it's not really lump vs. briquettes. Briquettes have some variation, but not as much.

www.nakedwhiz.com is the best known site for lump reviews known to man... And I get Humphrey for a decent price locally, which I like best.

CaptGrumpy 05-27-2008 03:30 PM

Health reason #1 why not to use briquettes is the 7 chemicals used to bind the briquette that are cancer causing.
#2 the taste is not nearly as tasty. Something about the taste of pressed coal that is not appealing to my palate.
#3 lump burns cleaner and did I mention lump has no chemicals
#4 less ash with lump
#5 A bag of Lazzri Mesquite Lump Coal is $14which is 35 cents/lb
#6 lump burns hotter than briquettes
#7 lump burns longer than briquettes
#8 you are not putting cancer causing agents into your family when you use lump
#9 lump rocks!

Harbormaster 05-27-2008 03:43 PM

Capt Grumpy nailed it.
As a caveat, however, not all briquettes are the same.
Searching this site you may read about Rancher, which is a natural briquette, bound only with plant starch. It has no foul odor, no coal. Just charcoal and starch. I understand Wicked Good briquettes are much the same.
I have not touched regular briquettes in years. I can smell ammonia, petroleum, and coal when they are burning.
Keep in mind, this is my opinion and my observations. I am a humble backyard cook.

jazzspot 05-27-2008 03:48 PM

The only briquette type charcoal that I've used in the last 4 years is the Rancher that HomeDepot had available last year. I still have 14 bags left. I usually use Royal Oak or Wicked Good lump.

Sawdustguy 05-27-2008 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptGrumpy (Post 647408)
Health reason #1 why not to use briquettes is the 7 chemicals used to bind the briquette that are cancer causing.
#2 the taste is not nearly as tasty. Something about the taste of pressed coal that is not appealing to my palate.
#4 less ash with lump
#9 lump rocks!

Capt. I agree with all except #1 and #7. Some briquettes use only simple starch as a binder. Some may use chemicals but not all. I also disagree with #7. Lump burns much faster than briquettes. It burns hotter because it burns at a faster rate. Most people with charcoal smokers would be better off using a good quality briquette because of the longer burn time. Grilling however is all about lump charcoal.

icemn62 05-27-2008 04:01 PM

why not combine the two?

Sledneck 05-27-2008 04:02 PM

Here is my first experience from this past weekend trying to save some cash by going with the kinsford sale stuff. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=43157

MattCom 05-27-2008 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptGrumpy (Post 647408)
#4 less ash with lump
#9 lump rocks!

I don't see 7 cancer causing chemicals in the list of ingredients.
Where'd you get that info?
http://virtualweberbullet.com/charcoal.html

Says there nothing toxic in Briquettes...

Norcoredneck 05-27-2008 04:29 PM

I think if K had that many and as bad as you say they would restrict its selling or atleast have large warning labels.

AlbuQue 05-27-2008 07:28 PM

Thanks for all the comments! Sunday I used about 75% RO and 25% K in my drum for 2 butts and 1 brisket. It held at 225 from 11:00pm Sunday to 1:30pm on Monday and still had plenty to go longer. I have used only Kingsford before but not lump only. I'll try lump only next weekend.

BBQ Enthusiast 05-27-2008 08:41 PM

mmm good info and opinions on this subject I'll have to get my popcorn and sit down for awhile.:|