garbage can and ribs

L

lm523

has anyone heard of or tried smoking ribs inside of a new clean 30 gal. can ? I heard a guy talking about using a can , over a pit fire and smoking for a period of time. any input or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

lm, the galvanized coating on a trash can,when heated, can produce toxic chemical that will be deposited on the meat that will make you quite sick.

That said, there is lots of info on the internet about making an electric smoker out of a garbage can and an electric hot plate. Apparently this arrangement doesn't produce adequate heat to release the toxins.

Find a new or food grade 30 or 55 gal type barrel to experiment with instead. Probably not as cheap, or easy to find, but much better safe than sorry where health is concerned.

I agree with KC - the galvanizing is an issue. I know you can find how to do chicken and such in a garbage can on Scout sites.

Actually, any container will work - an old metal fridge or such (I've even though of an old clothes dryer!) can make a real cheap smoker.

One of the important things about using a galvanized trash can is to make sure you burn it out first!! Set a good hot fire in it, or set it upside down over a bed of hot coals. This will burn off the toxic effects of the galvanized metal. I have a designated trash can that I have used several time to do a turkey under and it always comes out great. No one has ever gotten sick

Re: RE: garbage can and ribs

chad said:
(I've even though of an old clothes dryer!) can make a real cheap smoker.

Just set the dial to cool heat and Permanent Pork. :wink:

Back