The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   TALKIN' TURKEY!! (The official/unofficial turkey thread) (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120494)

colind 12-20-2013 01:11 PM

Can anyone give me some advice on smoking times for 5Kg (11 pound) turkey crown ??

The Toph 12-25-2013 12:56 AM

super interesting read fella's

The Toph 12-25-2013 01:00 AM

amazing pics

Sjpatg 12-29-2013 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colind (Post 2736398)
Can anyone give me some advice on smoking times for 5Kg (11 pound) turkey crown ??

You should go by temp not time . FYI I smoke turkey at a temp of 325 and the last bird I did took about three hours for a 14 lb bird to reach 165 internal temp

Hope this helps

thegentleoso 12-29-2013 09:33 PM

My First Turkey

1 Attachment(s)
This is my first turkey! I brined it in apple juice with a cup of kosher salt, a handful of fresh thyme and a few bay leaves. I also injected it with butter. It was the most incredible turkey I ever had!

Rlt23 01-04-2014 11:11 AM

Not a bad mornings work!

1 Attachment(s)
Brined these four breasts for two days then smoked the at 350. Done at 165. Carved them into individual breasts for sandwiches and boiled the carcasses for soup.

Beats the heck out of the smoked turkey you buy in the store!

Rick

Weber Genisis Silver
GOSM gasser
Rec Tec
Maverick ET 732

madavis303 01-04-2014 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thegentleoso (Post 2747109)
This is my first turkey! I brined it in apple juice with a cup of kosher salt, a handful of fresh thyme and a few bay leaves. I also injected it with butter. It was the most incredible turkey I ever had!

Congratulations. Looks awesome. I use a similar method when smoking turkey. Always great.

Ron_L 10-06-2014 12:10 PM

Seasonal sticking :-D

Please check out this thread before posting your turkey questions!

Lewis Shankle 10-09-2014 11:00 AM

BQ33 and all of the Brethren. Thank you for accepting me into the BBQ Brethren. I love cooking BBQ for friends, family. I will try to get some pics of my toys on site soon. I have a sticker burner that I built out of a 315 gallon water retention tank.
On the same trailer, I have a meadow creek PR60 and BBQ42 chicken cooker.
I a;lso have a collection of WSM's. I live and breath BBQ.

muidaq 10-11-2014 10:22 PM

I'm getting my pre-Thanksgiving warmup tomorrow with an ancient frozen turkey breast that I deboned. Planning a nice hot run in my WSM. It's brining now with some Tony's Cajun seasoning. Hopefully it didn't dry out too much in the freezer.

jcd 10-14-2014 10:28 AM

Great Tips and awesome pics! Thank you!

Tailgaters 10-14-2014 06:29 PM

i am going to try and come up with a butter injection instead of brine any one have any luck this way

toymaster 10-14-2014 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tailgaters (Post 3074084)
i am going to try and come up with a butter injection instead of brine any one have any luck this way

I have tried the brine alone and the butter injection alone and neither is as good as both together. It is worth the timne to do both.

Schooly D 10-15-2014 08:26 PM

I'm getting warmed up to do a dinner for roughly 20 people. 2 questions:

I want to do 2 birds on my 22.5" WSM. Anyone have recommendations on turkey size? I'm probably aiming for 2 ~15lb or so.

Also, I want to run hot but my WSM doesn't get up to high temps easily, at least not when doing a minion method burn. Would it be better to fill up the charcoal ring, get more (perhaps not all) coals lit, and let my BBQ guru stoker do its magic rather than a slower minion method style start?

Thanks for all of your suggestions!

cb25 10-16-2014 10:31 AM

Man, I cannot wait. Doing a pre-thanksgiving, thanksgiving with friends this weekend and I've been given the honor (and pressure) of smoking the turkey. First time I've smoked a turkey. Planning on a 24hr brine Fri night to Sat night, take it out, rinse and let it dry overnight in the fridge. Sunday morning the bird goes on the ol' offset.

Still tinkering with ideas - which wood, foil tent to deflect some smoke (I cook with nearly all wood rather than charcoal, which certainly can be smokier), how to make the gravy, etc. ---- but this thread has been massively helpful!